PDA

View Full Version : ABS/TRACS warning light

Sprinks
11-04-2005, 05:45 AM
Fellow Volvo owners,
I need to recommend a service that we all will need at some point as owners of a Volvo. My ABS/TRACS warning light came on indicating that the ABS Control Unit needed to be serviced, the dealer wanted $60.00 to diagnose it and $400 to $500.00 to repair/replace it. Victor Rocha has a service web site at http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/Volvo_Parts/Volvo_V70_ABS.htm, with the detailed directions including pictures. I was able to remove the unit myself (about 45 minutes), send it to Victor Rocha for diagnosis and repair and reinstalled the unit (a little less time) for less than $150.00. He even mailed me the special socket (torx T5 socket) to remove the unit! Check out his web site as he details the upgrades he performs on the ABS Unit making this the last time I will ever have to do this again. I recommend his service for those of us who are not afraid to go in.

Good luck to you all,
Sprinks

skibo
10-19-2006, 07:27 AM
So, you took this thing out and mailed it away? Will the car run without it, or was it out of service while the part was being diagnosed?

Bimmers-B-Better
10-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Well, with the ETM problem (at least temorarily) fixed I moved on to the intermittent ABS/TRACS light. I Googled VOLVO ABS MODULE and at the top was a link to BBA-Remanufacturing in MA. They had instructions on how to remove the ABS module for many specific makes and models of cars. Found the instructions for my '01 XC70. They will send you a pre-paid shipping label to get it to them or you can just ship it to them and when they have it fixed they will call you to recieve payment and charge you $10.00 for return shipping and $79.00 for rebuilding your unit. All told it took a little over a week from the time I had it out of the car until I had it back in the car.

We drove the car while the module was being rebuilt. Had the "check engine" light along with the ABS/TRACS lights on the entire time the module was out. The speedometer continued working but the odometer/trip odometers did NOT work. Once the module was replaced all warning lights and message center message of "brake failure, stop ASAP" all extinguished. So far, so good.

I believe that BBA warranties their work on the ABS unit for as long as you own the car. They certainly have my recommendation [thumbup]

rina
06-09-2007, 07:17 PM
HI Sprinks, This is Rina from Canada, they want to change my ABS Control U
NIT for 1061.24$ that,s not counting labour) plus a ABS 0010 wheel sensor left front sips0034 side impact sips left front ECM 510F Now they say Abs MODULE but give the other part no, Can you help me or show me how to get on the forum with my problem .Merci