PDA

View Full Version : XC survived hurricane Wilma

ArtSmart
10-31-2005, 07:55 AM
Ok, after one week the hurricane trashed Ft-Lauderdale I can say I'm glad I have XC. I had to take my wife and two kids and drive them plus whole bunch of baggage to St-Petersburg, which is 250 miles away. There was no gas available but I made it on 1/2 tank no problem. After that I stockpiled on food and water and drove it back for our friends. They couldn't believe how much I could fit in that car.

There were a lot of cars smashed with falling trees at the place where I live but I got lucky. There only thing I can say. About a month and a half ago I applied Black to Black to the plastic cladding and bumpers. I didn't want to do it in the first place because I know it dries plastic out but it was getting to look really bad. It lasted for about 2 weeks and then started to fade out. However, after the storm it looks worse than before I applied the product. This plastic has some weird reaction with water under normal conditions (I realize that Volvo engineers would never think that our cars would come in contact with such rare chemical), anyhow... after my car got pressure washed with hurricane rain it looks really bad. Whitish grayish plastic all over. Time for aftermarket carbon fiber claddings!

Next project is to try to pick leaves out of all the nooks and crannies all over the car.

AWD*V70XC
10-31-2005, 08:13 AM
I am glad you and your family survived Wilma, I guess others were not so lucky. I think that one of the important things about the XC70 is that of its dead weight. I think the weight distribution with it is one of the nicer compliments to know that you will not get, (dare I say it but no pun intended) "blown away". The car just sits on the road whether or not it is loaded.

Glad to hear you're all OK, and when do you expect normality to return to your neighbourhood?

ArtSmart
10-31-2005, 09:13 AM
Glad to hear you're all OK, and when do you expect normality to return to your neighbourhood?

We have power in the place were I live, but everywhere else it will be weeks! All trees are gone (except for the palm trees) but other than that live starting to go back to normal.

jkochis
11-01-2005, 04:45 AM
Ok, after one week the hurricane trashed Ft-Lauderdale I can say I'm glad I have XC. I had to take my wife and two kids and drive them plus whole bunch of baggage to St-Petersburg, which is 250 miles away. There was no gas available but I made it on 1/2 tank no problem. After that I stockpiled on food and water and drove it back for our friends. They couldn't believe how much I could fit in that car.

There were a lot of cars smashed with falling trees at the place where I live but I got lucky. There only thing I can say. About a month and a half ago I applied Black to Black to the plastic cladding and bumpers. I didn't want to do it in the first place because I know it dries plastic out but it was getting to look really bad. It lasted for about 2 weeks and then started to fade out. However, after the storm it looks worse than before I applied the product. This plastic has some weird reaction with water under normal conditions (I realize that Volvo engineers would never think that our cars would come in contact with such rare chemical), anyhow... after my car got pressure washed with hurricane rain it looks really bad. Whitish grayish plastic all over. Time for aftermarket carbon fiber claddings!

Next project is to try to pick leaves out of all the nooks and crannies all over the car.

--------------------------------------------------------

Florida has been getting hammered this year. I have family down there and they have been lucky so far. Wanted to post this new product I tried and really like for the cladding. I called the company and they use on Volvo cladding with great results. I tried and am very happy. Did once so far but will need to do again to get results I am looking for. I had rained and I have washed numerous times and it still looks as good. Check it out...

http://www.acrylicwerks.com

How to apply on our type of plastic:

http://www.acrylicwerks.com/car_instructions.html#car8

Email or call for more info.

Bluegrass-XC
11-01-2005, 11:27 AM
It's been a nerve wracking year. I had to bug out for Dennis in July. Lost power and all utilities for 4 days - I was one of the "lucky" ones.

Katrina was 200 miles west of here and I still lost power for over 25 hours. Had some minor flooding, but still enough for the authorities to close the barrier island I live on.

The worst part is watching them form in the Caribbean and trying to keep up with the NHC guys trying to predict where they're going to land.