PDA

View Full Version : Clicking = Worn Sway Bar Link?

Old Racer
10-30-2005, 07:10 PM
My 2004 XC 70 was an ex-lease vehicle which I bought with 25K miles on it, and I have put another 5K trouble free miles.

There is a growing click in the front end when I change direction, especially if a bump is involved. I spoke to the dealer and the Service Manager who says that often the sway bars wear prematurely if the car was used on bumpy roads.

Does this make sense to anyone? Have I bought myself a future problem??
TIA
Harry

Jack
10-30-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm no expert but since you are so early in the warranty you should just let the dealer diagnose and fix the problem. As I understand the sway bar links are a weak spot but relatively inexpensive and easy to replace yourself. Compared to other cars in its class (I hope) these late model XC70's will be reasonably reliable.

Art
10-30-2005, 07:52 PM
This is an issue that isn’t foreign to many forum members here. I’ve had three of my links replaced on warranty.

As Jack stated it’s fairly easy to replace the front stabilizer links, outside of the warranty, without the aid of any specialized tools. Instructions can be found here. (http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/xc_front_stabilizer_service.pdf)

Puff The Magic Wagon!
10-31-2005, 01:56 PM
This is a bit of a bugger isn't it?

I spoke to the dealer and the Service Manager who says that often the sway bars wear prematurely if the car was used on bumpy roads.

Is this model not meant to be the Cross Country version of the V70? Surely one would expect that "bumpy roads" actually might be a daily part of the XC's journey? Therefore supply something that is up to the job :rolleyes:

Only annoyed as had my sway bars replaced under warranty some 5K ago & already they have started to click again :rolleyes: :( I live down bumpy roads...

Sure, I'm not worried about doing it myself once it's out of warranty but the temptation to let it be a while before doing it increases hence leading to a potential safety hazard. Plus this item should not be just considered as a consumable.

surfsailor
10-31-2005, 05:10 PM
Has anyone needed to replace the Rear Sway bar Links ? The service tech at the dealer said mine needed to be replaced the last time I was in and I opted to wait. they quoted me a price of $208. I did a search on threads and didn't find any information. I was wondering if it was a DIY project.

MY 2001 V70XC

Art
10-31-2005, 06:38 PM
The procedure shouldn’t be any different. I believe you need a 18mm wrench and #40 Torx bit.

surfsailor
10-31-2005, 07:15 PM
I'll give it a try. I'll need to add the # 40 Torx Bit to my arsenal.
Thanks for the info Art.

P.S. I just put in a order for a sticker.

Jorge-789995
12-19-2006, 12:23 PM
I'll give it a try. I'll need to add the # 40 Torx Bit to my arsenal.

Surfsailor,

How did it go? Any update on the DIY job? I just got the same news at my 60K mile service.

Thanks,
Keith

JRL
12-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Has anyone needed to replace the Rear Sway bar Links ? The service tech at the dealer said mine needed to be replaced the last time I was in and I opted to wait. they quoted me a price of $208. I did a search on threads and didn't find any information. I was wondering if it was a DIY project.

MY 2001 V70XC

What are they, absolutely nuts!!???
They're about 35 bucks apiece and about 20 minutes per side AT THE MOST, usually less.
To the original poster, these can "go" at as little as 20K miles, your XC should be under warranty.
Rear links can go but not as often.

ebaron
12-19-2006, 08:20 PM
We have an '01 XC and when we bought it with ~ 45K miles, it needed 2 fronts and 1 rear. Dealer wanted about $300 for 3 installed. I bought all 4 (about $30 each) and it was an easy job to install all 4. Worth the savings.