PDA

View Full Version : XC Drives Category

Art
10-30-2005, 01:49 PM
In response to John@CdnRockies post here. (http://volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=54115#post54115), I think a section devoted to XC Drives/Destinations is one that merits attention. Thanks also to AWD*V70XC for bringing this to light. :)

There are times when threads of a less technical nature find their way on to the main XC forum (no thanks, in part, to yours truly :o) and, in doing so, some may feel that it detracts from the natural flow of topics up for discussion.

For Taylor’s sake, the job of monitoring the forums should be kept as simple as possible. What makes volvoXC.com what it is today, is the lack of or need for ‘Big Brother’ to watch over us. Speaks highly of Taylor’s philosophy and forum members’ cordial attitudes. :)

AWD*V70XC
10-30-2005, 03:25 PM
I think the only criteria is - your XC must be in the shot, that should do away with the kayaks heading up the West Coast. :D I think the more abstract the shot the better, say like a ferry boat 'sitting' on top of the roof rails, maybe we could have this as the Competition of '06 with a really super prize or prizes for the winner(s).

That's it then, the 2006 competition is to photograph your XC in the most abstract condition, no photo-shopping allowed and in the run up to Christmas '06 a poll will take place for the best photo.

Like the idea Art, Coastal, others?

SYS
10-30-2005, 03:42 PM
http://sys-2005volvoxc70.blogspot.com/

Okay, so how abstract are these photos of my darling??

(Some of you have seen these photos already, as I posted the link here a few months ago....)

Art
10-30-2005, 04:42 PM
I think the only criteria is - your XC must be in the shot, that should do away with the kayaks heading up the West Coast. I think the more abstract the shot the better, say like a ferry boat 'sitting' on top of the roof rails, maybe we could have this as the Competition of '06 with a really super prize or prizes for the winner(s).

That's it then, the 2006 competition is to photograph your XC in the most abstract condition, no photo-shopping allowed and in the run up to Christmas '06 a poll will take place for the best photo.

Like the idea Art, Coastal, others?

Are you referring to every shot Cameron? I think as long as you arrive at your destination in the XC, then it should be okay to submit other photos relative to the trip (within reason, of course). I fully agree with your suggestion to try and include photos taken of the XC in a more artistical manner. Should prove interesting to see what members can come up with. :)

As far as photo contests go, great idea, although an open competition might field more responses. I recall the last one that Taylor initiated was well received.

http://sys-2005volvoxc70.blogspot.com/

Okay, so how abstract are these photos of my darling??

(Some of you have seen these photos already, as I posted the link here a few months ago....)

That album definitely qualifies as a non-abstract submission SYS. http://volvoxc.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif Superb photos of the XC, btw. Got any more? :)

SYS
10-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Art -

Waiting for the snow to fall for some winter photo opportunities. I promise you that I'll take one with a Starbucks coffee on the roof... :D

coastal
10-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Hmmm.. I think I'm diggin this idea!

My initial reaction was that it'd be best to keep the drive reports in their respective vehicle forums, primarily in an effort to brighten the more techical and sometimes negative moods. To add, I've always felt that it's best to keep as few forums as possible so as to keep the community more cohesive.

But that said, the added exposure the reports will have from having their own forum will entice more owners to share their stories and photos....

I can't decide either way... Have we got some more opinions on this? :D

John@CdnRockies
10-30-2005, 05:19 PM
This might work out real nice for everyone concerned. FWIW, I like the idea that some of the shots need to include the XC but that others extolling the trip are fine as well. I use my rig primarily for sailing and skiing - had some great times on the water/snow and the shots where I left the wheels behind would definitely be interesting. Not that I took any, I was too busy trying to survive.http://volvoxc.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif While the beauty of a Volvo can't be denied (except by my teenage daughters), I'd like to see other shots of your trips as well.

Any contest votes, should of course be limited to our babies.

Hope we're not getting ahead of ourselves here as this site is owned by Coastal. Ultimately he needs to work the magic to make anything happen. One neat thing about VolvoXC is that it is so simple and straight forward. Always admired that clean-look and hope we're not going to clutter things up.

John

Art
10-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Hey John,

Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to augment your own personal photo album as I see it's somewhat lacking in files. ;)

I would love to see a shot of the XC hauling your boat out from the Pender Island ramp. :)

birddog
10-30-2005, 06:38 PM

My initial reaction was that it'd be best to keep the drive reports in their respective vehicle forums, primarily in an effort to brighten the more techical and sometimes negative moods. To add, I've always felt that it's best to keep as few forums as possible so as to keep the community more cohesive.

But that said, the added exposure the reports will have from having their own forum will entice more owners to share their stories and photos....

I'm thinking I like this idea too. Lately the other forums have been real drag to read, just winging about the same things and the same questions from new members that have aready been answered over and over.

One would think people will be more apt to put up some pics of their travels if the only requirement was that the XC was the "means to the scenes". Maybe I'll reset my homepage back here again!
:D

TrueBlue
10-31-2005, 04:42 AM

I'd go for a separate forum. (On the first reading of the above post I thought you meant a sub-section in each forum, or one per forum I'd say an emphatic NO to that).

Over the years that I've had the pleasure and privilege to use these fora I've got as much enjoyment, if not more from the threads showing peeps cars in different and interesting places. It's also been useful when pointing folks to colours of vehicles or even deciding on what colour to select myself.

Sadly the photographic content of some of the earlier topics have been lost - but I have been heartened by the willingness of original posters to relink the pictures (See fog light topic elsewhere). I'd like to see the new forum show anything showing the cars in action, in places, just as long as they flow with text. For example the "what colour is your car" would qualify because there are lots of pics: with explanations. So too would the test of VC versus Haldex topic. Neither of these would qualify if the "trips" rule was too rigorous.

Unless there is a technical reason, maybe links to the original post in another forum would save repetition as well as server space.

Any use, Taylor??

AWD*V70XC
10-31-2005, 05:06 AM
I'd go for a separate forum.

Any use, Taylor??

Mike, it has already been set up, have a look just below SITE WIDE NEWS on the front page or you can link from here Cross Country Drive Reports (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)

I think it is going to make some very interesting reading once we get the hang of it.