PDA

View Full Version : Not the car I ordered

xcgeek
10-26-2005, 04:40 AM
I've had my new XC70 Ocean Race for about a month now, but I couldn't work out how the seat memories work. My wife and I are NOT the same shape - especially when it comes to seating position so the memories were hoped to solve this problem.

There were no buttons on my seat, so a quick call to the dealer and booked it in to be fixed. They delivered it back at the end of the day saying "sorry sir, it can't be done - we've referred you to Volvo UK"

Today I get a call from Volvo UK saying "it can't be done sir - how can we compensate you? fancy any extras on the car?. Unfortunately the list of extras not included on an SE LUX is very short, so I picked the only thing I could wish for, Sat Nav, to be told that this also involved a wiring loom change and couldn't be done.

So what do I do now - Volvo seem to have washed their hands of building a number of cars like mine, with the wrong spec. I'm not even sure thats legal!

littlewaywelt
10-26-2005, 05:08 AM
It can be done. If these things break they can be replaced. Sat Nav is available aftermarket in the US.

Puff The Magic Wagon!
10-26-2005, 05:37 AM
Well, if the car is not the spec that you ordered, you can give it back & get a refund - check with your local trading standards officer. You can then buy one that has all the bits... ;)

Puff The Magic Wagon!
10-26-2005, 05:47 AM
Also looking on Volvo UK website, there is no mention of what type of seats come with the Ocean Race. But if the car is based on an SE Lux? Or even an SE, then at the minimum drivers mem adjust should be there.

Check the brochure?

TrueBlue
10-26-2005, 11:24 AM
[I'm withdrawing this post as I think there is no good reason to attack Volvo on this particular issue.

al_roethlisberger
10-26-2005, 11:42 AM
I couldn't find any specific info on what model the Ocean Race edition in the UK was based upon, but it did mention something about "leather and textile" seats, so I wonder if the OR edition has the base manual seats for a more "rugged" appearance?

It might.

al

littlewaywelt
10-26-2005, 12:32 PM
I couldn't find any specific info on what model the Ocean Race edition in the UK was based upon, but it did mention something about "leather and textile" seats, so I wonder if the OR edition has the base manual seats for a more "rugged" appearance?

It might.

al
Not likely. OR edition has in the past had nearly everything, including electric memory seats. Taking those away, as they appear to have done would only make the model less sought after. Memory seats come in a $15k Kia.

xcgeek
10-26-2005, 03:57 PM
The memory seats were standard on the XC70 regardless of model if I remember correctly. I opted for the Lux pack because I wanted the Active Suspension and it upgraded the passenger seat to electric at the same time.

I've handed the problem over to our leasing department in work for the time being, I just hope they manage to get further than I did.

I still don't understand what can be soooo difficult that they can't add it in.

All in all, it just sucks. When its pouring with rain and I can't get in the car I now have to open the door, turn on the ignition to power the seat, then drive it back far enough to allow me to get in - just bugs me thats all. Its not like I popped out and bought a 10K Ford Focus - I expected better from Volvo. Its my first Volvo, I previously had a 3 series BMW which broke down 5 times in its 3 year lease so I decided not to get another BMW this time. I just hope this ain't the shape of things to come...

al_roethlisberger
10-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Now this is really sounding odd.

I've seen the owners manual(North America) and they either show power/memory, or pure manual(I've never seen in real life on the drivers side if it exists), but no power/no-memory option for the driver. I don't think I've ever seen a non-memory power drivers seat in an XC.

hrmm, you ARE talking about the DRIVERS seat right? ;)

Just in case I've misunderstood and you are actually asking about the passenger seat, the passenger seat is not availabe with memory with any option/package. It is powered only, no memory.

But yes, unless a very odd package is delivered with the OR edition, the drivers seat should be powered with memory. I've never seen different.

al

Art
10-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Hmmm...that does sound odd. I know for a fact that the memory function for the power seats/mirrors can be switched off. Deactivation is carried out using VADIS. Could this have possibly been done at the factory? Just a thought.

Puff The Magic Wagon!
10-27-2005, 12:36 AM
Which of the below buttons have you got/not got as you talk about "powering the ignition" to get the seats back?

turn on the ignition to power the seat, then drive it back far enough to allow me to get in

http://www.volvocars.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/D06CD681-4637-4975-80E8-66B431CC033B/0/XC70_12_2_2.jpg

TrueBlue
10-27-2005, 02:50 AM
Looks as if I've jumped to the wrong conclusion. From the original post "no buttons" I inferred that the OR edition had manual seats and you had been stitched up (actually that's one of the features of the OR package haha).

So I started on my tirade against poor old VCUK (?really?). Well they are a bit negative - probably because they get a lot of hassle........

It now seems that there is an issue over what you actually have in the car. So at risk of teaching-you-to-suck-eggs, here's a run down of what I think you have:-

Both front seats are electric.
The passenger side has no memory buttons. Never did. Just seat adjustment buttons
The driver's side should have the top row of four buttons which is the memory control

The SE package has electric driver's seat with memory, the Lux package adds an electric passenger seat. The "XC pricing" brochure is quite clear on this, but you do have to read it carefully.

I haven't got a description of the OR package, so I'm going on your description - which makes sense - "top of the range with variations".

It occurs to me that there may be a misunderstanding of the technology. You have been provided with three sets of keys, a his and hers with remote control and a restricted access key for servicing.

You have to set up each driving position with the appropriate key in the ignition and save that setting as "1" or "2" on the buttons.
When you get in the car the remote will reset the seat to that saved setting. Or you can press 1 or 2 on the buttons to do that manually (getting wet in the process).

Sorry if you already know the above but there have been several threads here showing that it's awkward to set up

I think rightly or wrongly that is where your problem is. You're using one key set to access the car, and that setting is for ano, not you. So every time you get in the seat's in the wrong position - which is what in effect you're saying in your last post. Am I right??

If there are no buttons on the driver's side, then I don't know how to approach it. Seems daft for Volvo to have gone to all the trouble to put a non standard seat on the drover's side just in the OR edition.

Do please come back, 'cos you've got everybody in a muddle.

Confused,
Sussex.