PDA

View Full Version : Northern (USA) '04 - Should I worry about corrosion & rust?

al_roethlisberger
10-24-2005, 01:45 PM
As previously mentioned in another thread, I am looking at an '04 XC70 that is located in Michigan. The car has been well cared for, and looks to be in excellent shape.

But in years past, I had always been warned against "Northern Cars" due to the heavy use of salt on the roads in the Winter, and the subsequent damage caused by corrosion and rust, especially to the undercarriage.

This car doesn't seem to have any rust issues, although to be fair, I am going by photos and cannot "look" under the car remotely.

I've read several threads such as:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1839&highlight=rust

.... where folks seem to think the new cars are quite rust resistant, and Volvo even has a corrosion guarantee(I am/was not aware of it, if so what are the terms of this guarantee?).

The car is an '04 and has about 35k miles. For those with more experience with "Northern Cars", do you think that an XC70 with this amount of exposure to northern Winters should be a concern with regard to corrosion/rust?

I'm just trying to allay this one final concern about this car before "pulling the trigger" :D

Thanks
al

v70+xc70
10-24-2005, 02:02 PM
I've seen AZ and Ca cars that are similar age to my 10 year old truck, and they look so much better than mine. No rust.

Whether Cary NC is any better than NE I don't know. If you are close to the coast it might be similar. our 39000 03 is still fine.

You should be able to buy locally. If in doubt don't do it.

CheesheadinMemphis
10-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Al, I grew-up in the north and cars are made a lot better now. I think they use paint that has particles which are polarized opposite to the metal and several other tricks to resist corrosion. When I visit the homeland I see very few rusty cars these days, far different than when I grew-up.

Also, what Michigan dealer are you talking to? I live in Memphis and just bought a XC 90 from Suburban Volvo in Detroit. They and the car were wonderful. I saved $4,000 to $6,000 buying from Suburban vs. other internet dealers. The Memphis dealer, only one in town, wanted about $8,000 for the similar car.

If you dealing with someone else but are interested in looking elsewhere, Suburban is on the web.

al_roethlisberger
10-24-2005, 02:12 PM
I've seen AZ and Ca cars that are similar age to my 10 year old truck, and they look so much better than mine. No rust.

Whether Cary NC is any better than NE I don't know. If you are close to the coast it might be similar. our 39000 03 is still fine.

You should be able to buy locally. If in doubt don't do it.

Thanks.

I feel fine about the car, as I've bought and sold remotely before, and have extensive photos of most of the car.

But I just wanted to get some general thoughts/experience from those with late-model Volvos on how well they hold up or are adversely affected(if at all) by the salt, etc of Northern Winters.

Thanks again :D

al

Beiner
10-25-2005, 06:43 AM
I'm not sure how much Volvo changed there construction in 6 years but I agree w/ Cheeshead. I compared a 98 XC that was "raised" in MI to one that was "raised" in the South (Tennesee, South Carolina, Alabama non-coastal) and their was a handful of rust on the MI car and virtually none on the southern car. Mileage on the cars were within 2k of each other with the MI car having more mileage. I think that you'll get a great car no matter what just because it's an XC. ;)

jmoser
10-25-2005, 09:02 AM
I live in Michigan, my 2001 XC has 45K miles.

The undercarraige of the XC holds up remarkeably well in the heavy salt environment here. This is where the plastic body cladding really pays off - the usual wheel well / doorstep rust belts are protected.

I do my own oil changes so I see the exhaust system, etc - it is in fine shape too. You will see rust color under there - what you are looking for is pitting and 'rust-through.'

The splash guard [skid plate] under the engine is worth its weight in gold as well - just flimsy plastic but it keeps all the spray out of the powertrain bay.

Salt sucks but the XC seems up to the task.