PDA

View Full Version : Inner Tie Rods Fail;ing AGAIN!

10-24-2005, 04:40 AM
I just put new tires on the 03 XC Saturday and checked the inner tie rods (just for the heck of it) and wouldn’t you know the drivers’ side rod is failing.

This will be the 4th time since I purchased this car (12/04, with 34k on it, it now has 43.5k on it) that the inner ties rods will need to be replaced. I can’t believe that this car is chewing up these things like candy.

My wife is the primary driver on this car but she drives it 8 miles (16 total) each day to and from work on paved roads.

Anyone have any solutions or causes to this issue?

CTXC70
10-24-2005, 05:14 AM
What does the tire wear look like? Can I assume that the car drives straight? What brand did you use when you replaced them the first time?

When you replaced the first set were the spindles sprung or un-sprung? If they were un-sprung the articulation of returning the suspension to a sprung condition might have caused binding that caused them self destruct.

10-24-2005, 06:02 AM
What does the tire wear look like? Can I assume that the car drives straight? What brand did you use when you replaced them the first time?

When you replaced the first set were the spindles sprung or un-sprung? If they were un-sprung the articulation of returning the suspension to a sprung condition might have caused binding that caused them self destruct.

hard to tell what the tire was was like since they needed to be replaced, but nothing strange. this is my 1st time replacign the tires on this car.

in terms of your tech question, i have no idea. all the replacements were done under warrenty at the dealership(s) (the 1st set where i purchased the car and the others at the dealership close to myhouse).