PDA

View Full Version : Neutral Stop or something worse?

DBLD
10-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Hi,

I'm a newbie to Volvo and to this site - it's a great source of info. Just got a new-to-me 2001 XC with 90k miles. I picked it up last week and I am scheduled to go in this weekend to get it detailed (the dealer didn't have time before delivery). Anyway, figured I'd get things that need taken care of taken care of while I was there. Thankfully, I only found 3 things, but I'm not sure anything can/should be done about them.

1) I definitely feel that slight jump into gear when the car starts up from a complete stop. My searches on this site have led me to believe that this is a common frustration due to the "neutral stop" as it's called. But, I've also seen some posts saying it can be a transmission valve body or more serious tranny problem. I tried switching to the manual shifting, and I did not find the same jump into gear when shifting myself. How would I know if it is something more serious than the typical neutral lock? I'd ask the dealer to look, but it's not under warranty, so I know I'd get hit with a $100 diagnostic charge just to have them tell me the car is working just the way it should.

2) Whistle high pitch noise coming from the vent on the drivers side. It mostly only happens when the window is down and it only happens when the car is moving. Even if I close the vent and put the recirculate button on, it still happens, which makes me think it is air coming through the defroster vent on the drivers side. Any ideas on what could cause this - and can I fix it myself to save some $$?

3) The dash cupholder is broken just like everyone elses. It's too much of a job to take it out, so I am actually going to try to rig it this weekend so that it works - I've got some crazy ala MacGuyver idea that just might work. If it does, I'll post it so we can all enjoy our dash cupholders again!

Thanks!

Raynald
10-19-2005, 04:16 PM
I think that what you describe here is oubviously the "stop neutral" feature. IMHO, if it was the throttle body valve, you'd have the same jerking effect when using the Geartronic manually. For more info, you may take a look at this topic (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5943).

And welcome to the site, DBLD! http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif