PDA

View Full Version : Sway bar links, Tie rod ends

Gustav
10-17-2005, 10:06 PM
So, how many times do you imagine I'll need to replace the sway bar links and outer tie rod ends on my 99 XC? I've got about 110k miles on it now, and I'm on my 4th set of sway bar links, and going in this week for a second R outer tie rod end replacement. they say I need a ball joint/control arm assembly too. I'm tired of the clunking and pulling. Is there a way to get this front end work done so that it doesn't need to be done again, and again? Or is it time to trade it in on a more reliable AWD vehicle, if there is such an animal? any thoughts?

RedXC
10-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Sway bar links I can say comes broken a lot. But outter tie rod, I dont think so unless its a cheap quality and/or the tech mess it up while doing the front end wheel alignment.

srs
10-18-2005, 06:58 PM
I would check www.ipdusa.com. I recall them offering heavier duty sway bar end links for this problem. I intend on using them the next time mine fail on my 98XC.

You may want to seriously consider thier anti sway bars also. It is a bit of an investment but I put them on my '83 242, '89 245, '92 245, and '98XC and am very pleased with the improved handling. I make them a priority for each Volvo I purchase. Since I installed them on the XC the end links seem to be lasting longer then the typical 30,000mi but I not sure if there is a correlation.

My original tie rod ends lasted 100,000mi and one side seemed to still be within spec. during their replacement.

Gustav
10-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks. I'm going to replace the one tie rod end a second time. I'm not going to invest in anti-sway bars on a car this old w/ high miles. I will certainly look at the IPD links if I need them again. Is it to be expected that the control arm/ball joint assbly should be needing replacement?