PDA

View Full Version : Major differences 2003 vs. 2004??

al_roethlisberger
10-14-2005, 09:09 PM
I didn't get any response on this minor point in my other thread asking about problematic years or features, but then again I didn't make it very obvious that I was curious about this question :rolleyes:

So, I thought I would break it out in a separate thread.

Although I've searched and read through several afternoon's reading worth of threads, I would still like to ask if there are any significant differences between the 2003 and 2004 model year XC70.

I do know that in 2004, cosmetically Volvo added some chrome trim rings to the gauges, and???

And I do know that supposedly the 2004 introduced a new and improved ZF steering, but that has been debated here as well. Do we know that this is accurate, or is the base steering in a 2003 same as a 2004?

I have not driven a 2003 or older model, but the 2004 I did drive was very satisfying. So, I am curious if the 2003 would drive any differently?

Basically, I know I want a 2003 at the oldest as that gives me the new larger engine, and potentially insulates me from some other gremlins of the first two years a bit... while keeping things affordable. However, some 2004 models out there barely squeeze into my upper budget of ~$25k, and I'm really curious if there is a great leap in advantage to getting a higher mileage 2004 over a lower mileage 2003 for about the same price.

Plus, if both models are mostly equivalent, my luck at finding just the right combination of features(basically loaded ;) ) and the right color... white... is doubled if both model years are just as good, versus just looking at 2004s.

So, if anyone has any thoughts on the major, or even minor, changes between 2003 and 2004, that would be very helpful for me when considering what model year I should be shopping for.... or if both are mostly equivalent.

Oh and BTW, does anyone make a "kit" for adding the chrome trim rings to 2003 and earlier gauges? :D

al

P.S.

Apologies for all the inquisitive threads this last week. Let's all just hope they help expedite my purchase of a 2003 or 04 White XC in the next couple weeks so we can all get back to a less noisy experience :p Cheers!

Now if I can just find one. I think I've been calling on every reasonable ad on eBay and AutoTrader lately! :eek:

XCS
10-14-2005, 09:19 PM
I didn't notice any major differences when I was shopping. I opted for the 03 because of the difference in price on comparable cars.

IPD has aftermarket chrome rings. See http://ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=1480&NodeID=4714&RootID=629

ChuckK
10-15-2005, 05:32 AM
When the 2004 XC70 came out, Volvo listed the changes in that model year. The only significant one they listed was the ZF steering. In previous years, Consumer Reports complained about vaque steering in the XC70 (off-center feel on the highway). Someone on this board once posted that he saw the ZF name stamped on a component in the steering on his pre-2004 model, leading some to speculate that earlier models had ZF steering. I suppose it is possible that some ZF parts existed in earlier models or that Volvo introduced the new steering partway through the 2003 model year. But all I can tell you for sure is that the Volvo literature listed the new steering as new for the 2004 model year.

One of the major car magazines tested the 2004 XC70, noted that it had new steering, and stated that this change was a good improvement over earlier models they had tested. You can drive a 2003 and a 2004 and see for yourself if you notice any difference. I own a 2004 and am very pleased with the steering, but I have never driven a 2003.

Another difference between these model years is that the electronic stability control (called DSTC by Volvo) was available on more 2004 models than 2003. (I'm not sure if any U.S. 2003 models had DSTC.) The DSTC feature was available, but still rare, in 2004 models. I lucked out and found a car on the lot that had it. Recent studies have shown that electronic stability control is a very important safety feature, especially for preventing rollovers. You can find more details on this by searching this site.

Willy
10-15-2005, 06:57 AM
You can find the trim rings at IPD:
http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=1480&NodeID=4714&RootID=629
Willy

gary
10-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Another difference between these model years is that the electronic stability control (called DSTC by Volvo) was available on more 2004 models than 2003. (I'm not sure if any U.S. 2003 models had DSTC.) The DSTC feature was available, but still rare, in 2004 models. I lucked out and found a car on the lot that had it. Recent studies have shown that electronic stability control is a very important safety feature, especially for preventing rollovers. You can find more details on this by searching this site.

DSTC was a stand-alone option for MY 2003. I believe in 2004 DSTC was tied to the purchase of a package - in other words you couldn't get it as a stand-alone option (at least that was the way it was if you purchased your car through the Volvo Military Sales program). I think the reason you don't find a lot of North American market cars equipped with DSTC is because dealers just don't order them with it. In fact, my dealer told me I didn't need it and that I would be wasting my money. Not knowing enough about DSTC, I opted out of getting it based on his advice, but knowing what I know now, I wish I had gotten it.

v70+xc70
10-16-2005, 02:13 AM
I think the gray around the instruments on 03 gave way to black on 04 as well. Hardly earthshattering stuff

al_roethlisberger
10-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks all!

I just wanted to confirm that there were/weren't any major changes between 2003 and 2004. It sounds like basically there was not, other than perhaps the improved/tighter steering, but that seems to also be open for debate *shrug*

Thanks again.
al