PDA

View Full Version : Trip computer strange or normal

FrostyV70XC
10-07-2005, 07:20 AM
My trip computer has started to behave strangely/normal, it used to sit at around 13 to 15 liters /100 km and when the engine was running idle it stayed there, but now after a simple oil change (LiquiMolly synthetic) with engine idling it slowly starts to increase and in 3 to 4 minutes all the way to 99.9 liters / 100 km.
Is that because standing still the engine would use a infinite amount of fuel per 100 km but the computer can only shows 99.9 liters, as soon as the car starts rolling the consumption drops to normal.

by the way I have position light bulb error.

Any thoughts.

Willy
10-07-2005, 08:31 AM
I don't know what is going on, but I do know that an idling engine consumes very little fuel, so I don't think it can ifluence the behaviour of your trip computer as you described.
I suppose one of the parameters used to calculate fuel consumption becomes faulty (I also don't know how it's done, perhaps there is just one parameter coming from a flow element, I'll try to find out)
Willy

vtie
10-07-2005, 08:49 AM
I don't know what is going on, but I do know that an idling engine consumes very little fuel, so I don't think it can ifluence the behaviour of your trip computer as you described.

Well, yes and no. It consumes very few in time, but it consumes an infinite amount of fuel per km(mile), jut because you are not advancing :D

Actually, what the trip computer normally does (at least mine), is blank out the consumption with 3 dashes if you are not moving.

I guess whap happens on yours is that this mechanism is somehow not working, so that it keeps on showing a consumption per km, which gets very high because you are not moving.

Willy
10-07-2005, 09:11 AM
If this strange behaviour persists, it may be useful to apply a "hard reset": disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect. This procedure is known to cure some problems.
Willy

TrueBlue
10-08-2005, 03:42 AM
by the way I have position light bulb error.

Any thoughts.

The position light bulbs are what we used to call "sidelights" over here. At the rear they are 12v 5w lamps on either side in the tail cluster below (?) the brake lights. At the front they are similar sized bulbs in the headlamp assembly.

Try putting your lights in the "park" position and look for "darkness" in one cluster - if you see what I men. The rears are a pain to fix; you need small hands with long fingers. Geta a violin or piano player to help :)

FrostyV70XC
10-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Well things seem to have gone back to normal again, average fuel is now hovering between 12.7-12.9 L/Km (not bad for a heavy car).
I’m not going to reset the average metering until next fuel fill up and see what happens.
B.t.w. the instant consumption setting has always shown blanks when standing still and idling, it’s the average that was behaving strangely, but it did not affect the reaming kilometers with the amount of fuel left in the tank setting.

Until next time.

Vwvolvo
10-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Hey there buddy !

Just for info, my 2002 averages 10.5 liters/100km. This milleage is with 70% city and 30% highway at approx. 130-140km/hr.

P.S. I always use premium unleaded fuel.

Luc
Montreal, Canada

vtie
10-11-2005, 12:57 AM
My 2006 D5 XC70 is at approx. 7.9l/100km :p

The funny thing is, it doesn't really make a difference between city driving or highway driving. Maybe that's because I usually drive 140km/h on the highway

FrostyV70XC
10-11-2005, 05:50 AM
The 12+L/Km is 100% city, its 8-9 L/Km highway,

Until next time.