PDA

View Full Version : Can one disable the bi-zenon auto height adjustment?

Andiman
10-04-2005, 08:31 PM
I have an 05-XC70 blk sapp..w/subwoof ( awesome by the way )..and find the Bi-zenons nice, but find city driving with trolley car tracks and raised expressway road connectors cause the lights to constantly flutter and is noticeable on the back glare from the car in front of me...the auto angle adjustment is nice on open rural roads to maximize road lighting, but it must be annoying over the constant city bumps for the car in front...I have not tested my concern with a friend in front of me...but any thoughts are appreciated. I love the Zenon though...so much that I changed the fogs to a Zenon bulb that is in the same color range as the bi-zenons...so the car in front of me does have to see the stock fogs that are in the yellow hue range...

The fogs were easy to change out, but make sure the bulbs you buy are 55W...anything higher, like some of the cheaper bulbs, will melt your wiring harness...as I learned with my Passat Wagon in a previous life before Volvo.

The daytme running lights are my next change for a nice blue white hue, but require some fiddling and removal of some obstructions...Hard to get at...but I will smooth talk my technician to change them out during my 12K service next week.

Andiman :rolleyes:

Jack
10-04-2005, 09:40 PM
I believe that the flutter you see is from the parts inside the light not from the height adjustment, so I doubt you can fix it without changing to fixed non-hid lights.

Did you actually replace your fog lamps with HIDs? That would require fitting balasts for some real $$$. Just swaping "xenon" bulbs for the existing incandescent bulbs isn't the same as installing HIDs, its mostly marketing bs. FWIW HIDs draw less power than incandescent lights.

My '05's HIDs flutter. I didn't want the xenons but they came with the car I wanted. As for the fogs, it is not usually foggy here in Colorado so I rarely use them, that said I can't imagine that a bluer light would make them better.