PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Offset ?

vesterlh
10-04-2005, 09:13 AM
I just purchased a set of Ford Thunderbird rims (15x6, offset 39mm 5-108mm bolt pattern), which I intend to use to mount my old Subaru snow tires (205/70/15) on my XC70. Will the 10mm difference in offset compared to the stock rims (49mm) greatly increase bearing wear. Thread depth differences between front and rear is ~ 1/32 inch. Will this setup adversely affect my AWD viscous coupling/ bearings?

Thanks

Lars

gibbons
10-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Having learned the hard way on Hondas from using after market wheels just a few millimeters different, I don't mess with the wrong offset. It affects steering, bearing loading, suspension leverage, all kinds of stuff. How much? Well, anything other than design spec is something. Think if they were 0 offset, and you will be somewhere in between.

That's just my opinion. I think what will get you, though, is the 15" diameter. I am guessing the calipers will hit the wheels. Plus, I think the tires will be too short for reasonable use (a guess there, based on the size of our Subaru tires)

vesterlh
10-05-2005, 05:30 AM
Thanks for your reply.

I mounted the wheels on the car a couple of days ago and they seem to fit. Also, there seems to be sufficient clearance for the calipers. In regards to the offset, I have not read of any observed problems on this thread or on the web of using an offset which is different than 49mm on a XC.

Also, there will only be a 9 mm height reduction and a 2.6% reduction in tire circumference.

I will let everyone know how it works out. Should get better snow traction due to the reduced tire width. Also, the price of a set of 4 studded Hakka 2s is ~$200 less with this setup (which I intend to install next winter).

Lars