PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox problems

David Anderson
09-26-2005, 03:21 AM
Hello all,
I am a new member so please forgive me if this has been coverd before.
I recently got a new 2005 XC70 with the 5 speed Geartronic,
The auto seems to stick between second and third gears somtimes even causing the front tires to chirp.
It does this intermitantly in auto or manual mode.
It also sometimes takes a second to get going, like the clutch ( or whatever) is sliping..
My car is still under warranty, but I like to go into the dealers with some idea whats happening.

Thanx if you can help,
David.

2005 XC70 & 1998 Cross Counrty

Stuart
09-26-2005, 04:08 AM
It sounds like a well known problem with the need to update the software controlling the gearbox. I had the same problem on my vehicle and the software update cured it, but I am perhaps surprised that the problem still exists on your car which is quite a bit later.
The dealer should fix it without bother.

David Anderson
09-26-2005, 04:14 AM
Thanx Stuart,
My car was delivered in June and is the 'LE' model,
Maybe the Australian model is not the same as others around the world?
Or like most things takes forever to get here on the boat...

John@CdnRockies
09-26-2005, 11:14 AM
David, as relayed previously, this is a common problem on the Geartronics. The software updates done by your dealer are called Vadis. You can search under that name in the search area (3rd top right quadrant) and find out about it.

Vadis reads your car's profile, connects back to headquarters in Sweden and uploads the necessary latest software refresh. Generally only dealers have the connections and there should be no charge for any changes during the warranty period. The same software also controls a number of other items such as the level of mirror dimming, automatic locking sequences of doors etc, so you may ask your dealer for a full ist of possiblities before authorizing an update.

Only takes a few minutes to do and well worth the effort.

John

David Anderson
09-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Thanx John!
I will read up on it then take it in and let you all know what happens...

Cheers,
David.

XC70Geo
09-26-2005, 10:48 PM
Look at the possible software options http://acctest.semcon.se/en-GB/P2X/comfort/added-or-altered-car-functions/VCC-249393.htm .
You can decide if you like them. Your dealer may charge you for them, or makes changes for free.

gregorc73
10-02-2005, 01:43 PM
David,
i have a Jan 03 model, since new, and it has the same problem. just ticked over 85,000kms and i have reported it to the dealer every 10,000kms at service. the dealer can never find the problem & tells me all the software updates are current. i have given up & figure if the gearbox falls out they can replace it under warranty. it is important you note the problem at every service so if something does happen you have a record on file. last itme i was at the dealer the drive test guy told me to take out the extended warranty if i was going to keep the car past 100,000kms as "gearboexes are very expensive", i take it he was giving me good advice. Good luck.