PDA

View Full Version : severe vibration

29volvo
09-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi,

My used volvo I just purchaced is suddenly having severe vibration at speeds above 55-60 mph. It seems as if the problem is coming from the tires on the rihts side of the vehicle. This all accured after taking it to the car wash, the type your wheels drive into tracks.

Did it do something tot he allignment? Plase help

Unregistered
02-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Our 2004 had this at first until the tires "broke in"

gtm
11-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Hi,

My used volvo I just purchaced is suddenly having severe vibration at speeds above 55-60 mph. It seems as if the problem is coming from the tires on the rihts side of the vehicle. This all accured after taking it to the car wash, the type your wheels drive into tracks.

Did it do something tot he allignment? Plase help

While anything is possible I would be inclined to suspect a wheel balance weight came off. Possibly a visual inspection of the wheels will show a mark where a balance weight had been. Another possibility is to swap tires from left to right, please observe all proper shop practices such as using jack stands and wheel blocks. You can do the front first and then road test, if no change then the back. Significant blisters or delamination in the tread or sidewall will also cause speed related vibration. Putting the car on jack stands and then placing a block of wood or brick next to the tire as you spin it by hand can be a good way to determine if it's out of round. You can use the same method to check the sidewall. You can use a piece of chalk or crayon held flat on the block to mark the high spots as you rotate the tires.

With problems like this it is sometimes good if another person drives the car while the owner can do the observing including finding a deserted road and sticking you head out the window to see if anything is shaking. I don't want to be reading about someone getting a ticket for not being buckled up. Some tire shops include free balancing and rotation

There are other possibilities including alignment and brake rotor warpage but without more input it's difficult to explore those possibilities.

Cheers,
GTM

Y2K VOLVO
12-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Go to your local indy mechanic or tire shop and have them rebalance your tires. Sounds like you lost a weight when you went through the car wash. Small price to pay to verify the issue.

lolalay
01-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Check out this thread: Weird shudder, vibration?
Did you resolve your problem? It sounds similar to the one I'm having.