PDA

View Full Version : Thanks from a Newbie

RHD Aussie
09-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Want to pass on my thanks to all posters on this forum.
I have been reading this forum for about a month and have appreciated the insight it has given me while looking for the right car.
Yesterday I bought a 2003 XC70SE, 40,000 kms, metalic green paint, oak leather interior, sunroof and the dealer is fitting a metal cargo barrier. Take delivery next week.
My 4th Volvo, I traded a 1995 850 wagon. With the turbo I am looking forward to a car that will perform!!!!

Art
09-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Welcome to the fold and Congrats RHD Aussie! You chose well. :)

Having previously owned three other Volvos, I’m sure there’s a thing or two you can pass on to us first timers. ;)

Here’s a checklist of items (http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/kpfleger/autosafety/cache/misc/MotleyFoolDeliveryChecklist.html) that you may want to go over when you take delivery of your XC.

Hope to see some photos of your new ride in the gallery some day.

John@CdnRockies
09-24-2005, 07:24 AM
Nice moniker - does it stand for Right Hand Drive Aussie? Hope so - as we have always enjoyed visits to that country. Welcome to the site in any case and hope the new car serves you faithfully.

I was in the same boat when purchasing a car. Perused this and other brand enthusiast sites for months. Folks here made the decision easier and I'm grateful for their help over the past year.

John

RedXC
09-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Don't forget to let the XC idle before shutting it off now!! Save the turbo! :p Welcome to the forum!

RHD Aussie
09-25-2005, 02:46 AM
Art, thanks for the checklist. I have the car booked for an RACQ (Queensland AAA equivalant) check on Wednesday which I am relying on to find any bugs before I take delivery.
John, you are correct on the RHD Aussie. We don't have the same extremes of temperature as you in the Rockies. Noticed in the Volvo accesories electric heaters for the engine oil!!!!! I live in Brisbane Queensland.....my wife turns the car heat on when the temperature drops below 20C!!!!
RedXC, idle the engine before turning it off to save the turbo????? Could you please explain? And for how long??

In Australia one of the nicknames for Volvos is Vovo. Named after a popular biscuit sold here http://www.thegreataussietuckerbox.com/category73_1.htm
You often see Volvo trucks thundering down the highway with the L missing from the name above the grille.
Cheers
RHD Aussie

XC70Geo
09-25-2005, 07:21 AM
Hi RHD Aussie,
you can find in the manual, that after long run on high rpms the throttle temp can be extremly high. Throttle's cooling needs a running engine (common oil system). It is recommended to let the engine idle for 1-2 minutes (give time for the turbo to cool down) before switching the engine off. Especially after cruising on the highway and stopping at a petrol station. It's a common feature for turbo engines.

RHD Aussie
09-29-2005, 12:25 AM
Well the RACQ check came back OK, except for "Fluid wetness around the final drive housing". I'm having the dealer check and fix it and hope to take delivery tomorrow.
WOHOOO