PDA

View Full Version : Volvo response to ETM failure rate

am_ellis
09-16-2005, 10:51 AM
I contacted Volvo recently questioning the possible recall on Volvo models with faulty ETM's. Below is the response I received:

Thank you for contacting Volvo and we are sorry to learn of the need to replace the ETM in your 2001 XC70.

We take the concerns of our owners in this matter very seriously and we are cooperating with the NHTSA in determining the scope, frequency and safety consequences of the complaints. We ask that you keep copies of any paperwork involving the repair until the inquiry is completed. Once a definitive course of corrective action has been reached to ensure vehicle safety, Volvo will notify all owners involved.

Sincerely,

John Willets

Volvo Cars of North America

Just stresses the importance of reporting all complaints!

John@CdnRockies
09-16-2005, 05:58 PM
Yes, you do have to complain and keep the paperwork. However, it appears that Volvo will only embark on these repairs if they are ordered to do so by the NHTSA. Which begs the question whether we should be copying the NHTSA on any significant repairs as well!:confused:

This sure doesn't offer much comfort to any current or prospective owner.

John

Edmonds17
09-17-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm glad to know that Volvo is trying to figure out what to do to insure "vehicle safety." Baloney.

Volvo has known about the ETM defect for years and years. Has done nothing. Now, Volvo is thinking about "vehicle safety." What about the personal safety of the driver and occupants? What about the personal safety of other drivers that might hit a Volvo disabled by the defect in the middle of an Interstate?

Volvo will do nothing unless the government forces them to recall, re-engineer, and repair these defective vehicles. We are watching current management destroy decades of goodwill and the Volvo brand as we knew it.

Volvo trying to become a trendy "performance" brand like BMW. Volvo current management has no committment to safety and reliability. Volvo won't willingly launch a recall because it would drain funds desperately needed by Ford to prop-up other losing divisions, i.e. Jaguar, and the parent corporation. Cheap for them to advertise "performance." Safety will only happen if the government requires it.

Edmonds17

Hozer
09-17-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm glad to know that Volvo is trying to figure out what to do to insure "vehicle safety." Baloney.

Volvo has known about the ETM defect for years and years. Has done nothing. Now, Volvo is thinking about "vehicle safety." What about the personal safety of the driver and occupants? What about the personal safety of other drivers that might hit a Volvo disabled by the defect in the middle of an Interstate?

Volvo will do nothing unless the government forces them to recall, re-engineer, and repair these defective vehicles. We are watching current management destroy decades of goodwill and the Volvo brand as we knew it.

Volvo trying to become a trendy "performance" brand like BMW. Volvo current management has no committment to safety and reliability. Volvo won't willingly launch a recall because it would drain funds desperately needed by Ford to prop-up other losing divisions, i.e. Jaguar, and the parent corporation. Cheap for them to advertise "performance." Safety will only happen if the government requires it.

Edmonds17I agree. But that is not Volvo, FORDvolvo is the correct name and I've never owned a Ford until my 2001 XC with the ETM, etc. problems.

v70+xc70
09-22-2005, 06:38 PM
? Etm ??????