PDA

View Full Version : Service Reminder

gazorkl
09-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Hey all, I just recently purchased a used 1998 V70 XC. I havent had a car with automatic service reminders before, so I was wondering if anyone knows generally what should be done, or what the car thinks needs to be done when the reminder pops up? I just passed 94K miles when it came on. Also, is the only way to turn it off from a Volvo dealer. Which is a bit of a hassle, esp. if the car doesn't really need anything. Thanks for any help
jon

btw, sorry for the double post

Beiner
09-15-2005, 11:32 AM
Somebody back me up if I'm wrong, but the Service light comes on to coincide with the recommended 3k oil change intervals. May be every 5k. If you really want to ignore your car and put out the light get the $178.00 service reset tool from www.ipdusa.com. Kinda' pricey but worth the one time investment. May be able to find it for cheaper elsewhere but I think they're reasonable.

Larsvolvo
09-15-2005, 12:02 PM
The service light is just a reminder, not a mandate to spend money to get it turned off. The following works on my 99 V70XC, as I take it to a great independent service rep who does not have all the Volvo gadgets...

1) Key to position 1
2) Press and hold Trip meter reset button
3) Turn key to position 2 for 10-12 seconds, or until
4) The service light will flash, release the Trip meter reset button
5) Done

:)

BillAileo
09-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Those steps to turn of the indicator will work to turn off the light on a '99 but not a '96 through '98. These models need a special tool such as the IPD device mentioned by Beiner or a trip to the dealer. To consider what maintenance may be warranted at 94K, Volvo's maintenance schedule should be in your owner's manual. If you don't have one, you can access them for free on line through Volvo's website. Go to http://www.volvocars.us/ and click on the Owner's info link on the right and follow the steps to get to the manual applicable to your car.

Bill

Beiner
09-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Quick update. With some help I found a company that will sell them for around $80 US. Currently selling on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Volvo-Service-Light-Reset-Tool-NEW_W0QQitemZ4574689574QQcategoryZ10432QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Give 'em a shot!

Pedman
09-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Larsvolvo's procedure is the same my dealer used (I watched her) to reset my
2001 V70 service light.

lavrgs
11-09-2005, 08:00 PM
My service light is coming on intermittantly - I will try the reset procedure but is there anything else I should watch out for? I have had a minor service recently ~ 5000 miles or less, and have never seen the service light come on in between oil changes...so far the dealer has changed the oil, perhaps they reset it every time?

KanataXC
11-11-2005, 09:06 PM
It is a reminder, nothing else. It should be reset during each service/oil change by the garage. When you say intermittenly, are you just referring to the way it only stays on for 2 minutes after started, hence reminding, but indicating there is nothing wrong.

This was taken from 2000 S/V70 manual, intervals may differ slightly for different years. It is really quite a long interval, so if it comes on, either you do a lot of driving, or it wasn't reset last time. You would think normal oil should be changed before that interval, while synthetic could go longer.

http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/2000/2000_SV70/00sv70_02a.htm
>>
Service reminder indicator

This light will come on at 7,500 mile (12,000 km) intervals, after 750 hours of driving or after 12 months, whichever occurs first. It is a reminder to the driver that the service interval has been exceeded. The light will stay on for 2 minutes after start until reset by the servicing retailer.
<<