PDA

View Full Version : 2002 and newer ETMs

rhauptschein
08-23-2005, 07:23 AM
I posted this in the 97-00 forum, but it may be more appropriate here:

What is different on the 2002 and newer models that they do not have these ETM failures? Or perhaps, there have also been reports of them failing??

Jack
08-23-2005, 08:09 AM
The new ones are made by a different manufacturor, I believe it's Bosch. I don't know if they changed the basic design, i.e. carbon trace and wiper, for the sensor.

Stuart
08-24-2005, 02:28 AM
I wouldn't bet on the newer ones being any better, in view of my following query raised elsewhere on this Forum:

Dreaded Electronic Throttle Modules and D5 engines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have read many of the trauma stories concerning the ETMs on petrol V70 variant vehicles, especially 2001 ish models but also some later. As far as I can work out, the problem is really to do with the potentiometer components. I know later engines used Bosch units instead, but apparently there still are problems.
Does anyone know if the (later) D5 diesel engines rely on a similar ETM type arrangement. The same throttle/accelerator positioning sensing mechanism could be employed on a diesel engine I suppose?
I don't have any problems with mine and haven't seen any mention of problems of a similar nature - it's just curiosity!
The above was posted on 20th August, and today (22nd) the following reply was received to my posted query on http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcbo...id=21900&page=1

They have the same "fly by wire" arrangement, and the throttle/pedal position sensor is just as susceptible to wearing out on the D5 as on petrol models. I've already had the module replaced on my D5 due to erratic idle and lack of accelerator pedal response. When it failed, I pretty much had to drive home using the cruise control's +/- buttons. At least it was only a few miles.

Cheers, Steve (whose V70 D5 is currently at the dealer getting 5 new injectors and a new charge hose :-/. At least it's still under warranty. Heaven help me next June when it expires...)

The module failed at about 30,000 miles and the injectors at 36,000.

Moral: D5 owners - be afraid, be very afraid! You are not immune to this dreaded disease!

Two things to note here then:
1. Also may affect newer models
2. D5 diesels also affected