PDA

View Full Version : Headlights and Fog Lights Protectors

RedXC
08-18-2005, 11:27 PM
Don't know if this product ever been talked about. But I think this product is very useful especially the newer XC70 with HID option. It's very expensive to replace the headlight assembly. So does any one have comments on this product? I am currently thinking ordering one from rockblocker. My friend tried rockblocker product, I got to feel it. It's quite thick and perfect fit.

http://www.rockblocker.net/store/36339.htm (rock blocker)

http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=1636&NodeID=5156&RootID=629 (IPD)

RockBlocker
08-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Noticed that there has been a lot of interest from your posting on our site and wanted to let everyone know that if you have any questions please let us know. Be glad to help

I will say one thing though.

The IPD product that is listed is very hard to get the film to comply to the angles and curves of the XC light. We use to carry the thicker film, but found that it is not necessary to get the same effect for durability while making the installation easier, plus we carry colored films if people are interested in that.

Have a great day

KILOFINAL
08-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Can you please tell me how the plastic protectors are installed? Do they simply clip onto the headlight housing? I have the lexan housing w/HID's.

Will the plastic become discoloured or cloudy over time?

thanks,

Jack
08-22-2005, 09:16 AM
I purchased the Xpel version for my '05 but have not yet installed them. I've used them on my SAAB's before and they remained relatively clear, just some minor scratches from the headlight wipers which isn't an issue with the plastic headlights. Xpel has installation videos here:

http://www.xpel.com/support/installation/videos.asp

From the previous post I would guess that the Xpel covers are thicker.

KILOFINAL
08-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks Jack. I need to seriously consider this option.

adamc
08-22-2005, 10:33 AM
I've heard you have to be careful installing this on HID lights. Some have mentioned that certain headlight protection films cause overheating in the bulbs, actually cracking the glass housing.

The above mentioned products look to be in the 40-80 mil range. I've read posts on other forums that 40 mil has caused cracking of the headlights. I can only assume 80 mil would enhance the problem. In some cases the film itself has melted.

Previous posts indicate you should try to obtain the 20 mil variety for HID lights.

KILOFINAL
08-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Oh geez....thanks adamc. Forget it then, i'm not about to take any chances with the Xenon's and the plastic housing cracking. Regards.

barrysharp
08-22-2005, 08:33 PM
I have 20 mil on my XC70 (headlights and fogs) with Halogen lights and have had 20 mil on my S60R with Bi-Xenons for past two years.

The only issue I've seen is that where the headlight wipers rest a brown nicotine like residue accumulates which is close to impossible to clean off.

Jack
08-22-2005, 09:34 PM
I don't think cracking is an issue with the plastic lenses that Kilofinal and I have on our '05 headlights. Plus I thought that the HID lights were actually lower power (35 vs 55 watts?) and less hot...the D in HID being the gas discharge that creates light rather than a heated filament. Somewhat like the cool light from a flourescent bulb.

I did crack a couple glass lenses on my '95 SAAB using very thick covers that the dealer sold when I first purchased it. I attributed it to SAAB's use of full power low beams for DRL's, they both cracked on hot summer days. I got them to buy me two new headlights after a bit of fuss. You can now get replacement glass for about $50, so it's not worth protecting them with covers.

I didn't have a problem with the xpel covers I subsequently put on the SAAB. It's probably overkill to put covers on plastic lenses but I ordered them at the same time as the clear bra and they came with covers for the fogs which seem to have glass lenses and probably need protection.

Art
08-23-2005, 01:12 PM
I have 20 mil on my XC70 (headlights and fogs) with Halogen lights and have had 20 mil on my S60R with Bi-Xenons for past two years.

The only issue I've seen is that where the headlight wipers rest a brown nicotine like residue accumulates which is close to impossible to clean off.

I can confirm Barry’s comments regarding the dark line that appears on the film under the headlight wipers. In my case, I would describe it to be more of a stain or burnish rather than a residue. It appeared on the original membrane that I had the dealer install at the time of purchase. Unfortunately, I didn’t ask the brand name of film that was used. Slightly over year ago, I switched to a locally manufactured product called Richochet (http://www.ricochetprotects.com/en/how.php) and have not seen any visible signs of darkening under the wiper blades.

To help protect and extend the clarity of the film, I recommend using a UV inhibitor such as 303 aerospace protectant. :)

RockBlocker
08-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Guys thought we would help you out with some more information.

- the HIDlights actually burn cooler then halogens so there is no cause for alarm of the light protection being an issue with HIDs.

- The reason why the light protection becomes brown from the light wipers is due to build up of grime on the wiper blade. To help prevent this, you can take an extra minute to wipe the blades during washing. This is a good tip to do on your windshield wipes to preserve the longevity.

Can you please tell me how the plastic protectors are installed? Do they simply clip onto the headlight housing? I have the lexan housing w/HID's.

The product installs with water and squeegee and is real simple, it takes about 10 mins. The product needs low maintenance and you can use products like plexus or your standard car wax.

If we can help with anything else please let us know.

RedXC
10-17-2005, 10:21 PM
RockBlocker,

I guess you are from the RockBlocker.com company! I just order a set, and only the headlight came pre-cut and the fogs did not. I sent a email to the company, it might be you. But he stated that they lost the graphs for the fog lights, so was unable to cut. And will replace it as soon as you guys have the specs. Can you check on that please?

My email is, [email protected]

Thanks,
RedXC