PDA

View Full Version : XC Front Brake DIY help

jmoser
08-18-2005, 07:17 AM
I am looking at front rotors/pads for my 2001 XC. I have never done brakes on an AWD setup but my 4x4 pickup needs a 'special' 54mm socket to remove the retainer from the front hub.

Does the Volvo need any special or unusual tools to get the rotor off? I know I need the metric hex for the calipers, just wondering about the rotor removal. Are there any grease seals, etc to replace? My 4x4 also has those to deal with.

Any experience with the rotors from IPD? I am leaning towards ceramic pads for dust control, the factory pads are the dirtiest dusty things I have ever seen.

Art
08-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Instructions for the removal and replacement of the front brake pads can be found here (http://volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/xc_front_brake_pad_replacement.pdf) in the how-to-resources section of the website.

The guide to replacing the rotors also appears to be fairly straightforward. I can send you the PDF for that if you want. :)

nwxc70
08-18-2005, 11:29 AM
I don't see a pdf in the resources / how to section. Maybe you could post it or PM as I'd like to have more than just the diagram that is stored there.

Cheers!

skibo
08-18-2005, 01:58 PM
this instruction makes it look like no tool is required to remove the rotor - looks like once the caliper is off, the rotor can just be pulled off the studs.

i could be wrong. haven't been in there to look it over yet.

RedXC
08-18-2005, 11:32 PM
this instruction makes it look like no tool is required to remove the rotor - looks like once the caliper is off, the rotor can just be pulled off the studs.

i could be wrong. haven't been in there to look it over yet.

you are correct! as the cailper comes off, after take the part on picture 4 in the PDF file out, you also have to take out the rim guide screw out, and knock it hard with a large heavy rubber hammer. And it should come off.
As pushing the piston at the cailper back in, I recommend opening the bleeder valve, to let any dirty brake fluid out. Because dirty brake fluid can cause damage to the ABS hydraulic module. And maybe at that time, you can bleed the brakes for any air.

BryanH69
05-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Are the instructions the same for the 2004 for pad replacement?

BryanH69
06-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Anyone know the answer to this????????

RedXC
06-02-2006, 09:47 PM
2001-current XC70 models are the same procedures.

BryanH69
06-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Thank you!!!!