PDA

View Full Version : is oil drain plug gasket a must?

perflex
07-30-2005, 06:55 AM
Dear all

I am a newbie in this forum

Is it a must to use a oil drain plug gasket?
Today I change motor oil and seal the drain plug without gasket
Could it result in leakge or other complication :confused:

thanks in advance
perflex

BillAileo
07-30-2005, 08:14 AM
The gasket puts a material softer than the oil pan between the drain plug and the pan which can be compressed enough to provide a good seal without threat of stripping the threads. It is certainly possible to get a seal without the gasket but I would not recommend doing it other than on an emegency basis.

Bill

gibbons
07-30-2005, 09:47 AM
If you are worried about dripping, but don't want to remove the plug (which will dump all the oil) to put a washer on it (or gasket, as you call it), try this trick. Crack the drain plug loose, and spin it out a few threads. Very little oil will seep out. Then wrap about 10" of teflon take around the threads between the plug head and the pan. Pull it tight as you wrap. Now, crank the plug back in. The excess teflon tape will squeeze out the gap, and it will be sealed better than the aluminum washer would have.

Although I always have a new washer handy for my Chevelle and truck, I add teflon tape too just to be sure there are no leaks because those oil pans are stamped sheet metal and just not very dimensionally precise. The XC's is a very nicely machined aluminum casting.

Willy
07-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi,
Although the risk of a leak is indeed not all that big, I wouldn't leave it like this. A washer or gasket also has a function of retaining the tension on the plug (acting as a spring) to prevent it from coming loose (the same reason that washers are used in most bolt/nut connections).
If it was my car, I would drain the oil in a clean canister, put in a washer and fill back up (if it takes a few days before you can do it, you can also take the bottom plate back off, so you will notice a leak very soon)
Willy

perflex
07-30-2005, 06:31 PM
thanks for the precious information and tricks
this is a really great and informative forum :)

Raynald
07-30-2005, 07:07 PM
(...) Crack the drain plug loose, and spin it out a few threads. Very little oil will seep out. Then wrap about 10" of teflon take around the threads between the plug head and the pan. Pull it tight as you wrap. Now, crank the plug back in. The excess teflon tape will squeeze out the gap, and it will be sealed better than the aluminum washer would have (...)
What a great idea! http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif Can be applied elsewhere too.http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/images/icons/icon3.gif

gibbons
07-30-2005, 08:34 PM
By the way, teflon tape is the common sealer used on pipe threads. You get it at any hardware store. It is usually a half inch wide, but as you twirl it around the few exposed threads, it will stretch and drop right in the gap. Sometimes when I am doing stuff like this, I just pull a piece of the spool, and twist it into string. Works like a charm.

RedXC
07-30-2005, 11:57 PM
You can just buy a pack of the brass washers, like I did. I just replace it everytime I change the oil. This what i do, use a 17mm wrench, crack it loose, loosen plug until almost out, hold it and then pull it out just went the oil starts to drain out. That will save the mess. And i clean the plug with some brake clean, check the washer isnt on the oil pan. Replace with new washer and put plug back on. I don't think it will drip because since the plug is threaded into the oil pan, hardly any oil comes out.

Willy
07-31-2005, 01:39 AM
I would like to comment on the use of teflon tape: it is ok if you use it the way Gibbons described it, but if you wrap it around the length of the thread, it is possible that some of the tape reaches the inside of the engine (teflon tape can be quite "flossy"). This has to be avoided, it could clog the filter. Also, but probably not a problem here: teflon start giving off poisonous fumes if heated well above 200°C.
Willy

gibbons
07-31-2005, 06:58 AM
Teflon tape is actually intended for taper fit threads like pipe and plumbing fittings. Wrapping the entire thread length of the plug wouldn't be effective, since it is a straight thread. I am talking about only a couple of mm at the end by the plug head, as an easy, clean, effective fix until the next change when a real washer can be used. Yeah, the stuff does like to floss out when compressed.

RedXC
07-31-2005, 10:42 AM
I would like to comment on the use of teflon tape: it is ok if you use it the way Gibbons described it, but if you wrap it around the length of the thread, it is possible that some of the tape reaches the inside of the engine (teflon tape can be quite "flossy"). This has to be avoided, it could clog the filter. Also, but probably not a problem here: teflon start giving off poisonous fumes if heated well above 200°C.
Willy

Yeah I also disagree with the use of teflon tape, I work on cars. But I never use telfron tape unless on my air tools.

Pennhaven
07-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Yeah I also disagree with the use of teflon tape, I work on cars. But I never use telfron tape unless on my air tools.

Please give Gibbons a break here, he is talking about using teflon tape as a temporary [emergency] washer, for a drain plug, not some critical internal fitting! :)

Willy
07-31-2005, 12:32 PM
Quite so, therefore I started my comment that there is nothing wrong with using teflon tape the way Gibbons described it.
I just wanted to warn not to use it in (some) other ways.
Normally, I only use this tape for what it is intended, sealing threads (as also mentioned by Gibbons). However, in case of emergency (meaning that if no better solution is feasable) I would't hesitate to "McGyver" with some teflon tape :D
I slightly disagree with Pennhaven on the importance of the oil drain plug, I do consider it as a critical part, be it an external one :)
Willy