PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Volvo's future

funglenn
07-21-2005, 08:29 AM
My wife drives an 01 XC70 and we love it. Next year I am thinking of buying a brand new XC90 or S60 R AWD, but I am wondering as I shop and look at Acura and Audi I see Volvo does not have:

- Mp3 playing radios
- Bluetooth
- Non touchscreen navigation
- Automatic sunshade for rear window

Does anyone know, or know if it is rumored, if they will be offering any of the above? For a car that is hard to add aftermarket stuff you are almost stuck waiting for the OEM to catch up.

I figured Volvo fanatics would be a great place to start.
Thanks!

littlewaywelt
07-21-2005, 07:02 PM
My wife drives an 01 XC70 and we love it. Next year I am thinking of buying a brand new XC90 or S60 R AWD, but I am wondering as I shop and look at Acura and Audi I see Volvo does not have:

- Mp3 playing radios
- Bluetooth
- Non touchscreen navigation

Does anyone know, or know if it is rumored, if they will be offering any of the above? For a car that is hard to add aftermarket stuff you are almost stuck waiting for the OEM to catch up.

I figured Volvo fanatics would be a great place to start.
Thanks!
If those are dealbreaker options, I think you'll end up in Acura.

I'd like to hope that you'll see Bluetooth with the integrated phone in the next version/redesign, but not before. However, I think it's unlikely. Volvo has been so slow to add new technology (ie, ipod) that I think it would be unlikely. Additionally, which version of bt? Compatibility? I can't imagine Volvo service or tech reps dealing with incompatibility issues. Saab however started offering BT a couple of years ago.

I don't think you'll see a radio that plays mp3 because Volvo doesn't really seem to put much thought in the their radios (ie ipod & the step backwards 650 stereo).

Nav will never be touchscreen. Volvo want's the screen up high so the road is still in your perpheral vision. The steering wheel input takes some time to get used to and it's actually very good. What they need to add is voice control, imo. I used to think the missing touchscreen was a major downside to Volvo NAV. I have since changed my mind.

I can't imagine offering the auto sunshade since almost no one else does. I think it would be too expensive to add as well.

funglenn
07-21-2005, 11:20 PM
I agree with you on most items, it just astounds me. As for the rear sunshade, they do offer it for the S80, but not the S60, while mercedes and audi offer it for almost every day.

In my mind the safety factor is more important than the gizmos, but the gizmos would be nice for the price.

I also found out they have like $1,000 mp3 playing changer, sort of like a Kenwood Keg, but 1k ? Geez :eek:

skibo
07-22-2005, 05:36 AM
i see there is an Volvo OEM assesory sun-shade available for the XC70 - don't know about the other models. it's not built into the door like on a Mercedes, but it seems like a decent compromise.

Andiman
07-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Hello: Here's my opinion;

XC70 over XC90...unless you want to pay 10K more to be higher and have big rubber and the T6...which will be discontinued...with the price of gas.Why?

- Mp3 playing radios....still not settled on universal adapters....any aftermarket device can tie into the amp through a simple port like the IPOD does with the headphone jack...more aesthetic connections will be key...A simple female jack for the IPOD or other device is all that is necessary...perhaps in the console....control using the wheel or console is what you will get will specialized adapters from the car manufacturer.
For now...by the remote device for your MP3 player and your dancing.

- Bluetooth...smootooth...not the end all to be all...eventually everything will run wireless...not worth the introduction for Volvo at this time.

- Non touchscreen navigation..unless you want to pay 3 times the price for a Volvo navigation...it would be wiser to spend 1/3 the money on a portable GPS device...use it your car, camping, or on holidays...don't buy something that restricts you to your car only...same goes for car DVD players

Not a big issue, unless you live in Arizona...by some sunglasses for the kids...or put it on manually...automatic...has to be close to $600 bucks from the Swiss.

Again ...XC70 over XC90...Why pay 10K more to be higher.

Big
07-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Again ...XC70 over XC90...Why pay 10K more to be higher. Well, more cargo and passenger capacity, more towing capacity, DSTC standard, beefier suspension, newer styling and, of course, more ground clearance.

AWD*V70XC
07-22-2005, 11:48 PM
I see that Volvo will only produce one S80 in the next revamp stage of its life. They are dropping the T6 engine/model in favour of a full time AWD version.

Are Volvo dropping ALL 2WD cars in favour of AWD right accross the board?