PDA

View Full Version : 2006 xc70

v70+xc70
07-20-2005, 12:22 AM
http://www.volvocanada.com/Showroom/2006/XC70/ModelHome.aspx?lng=2
Interesting option "Muscial Juke Box" 500 hours of music....no reference to ipod.....

Can't see any US equivalent

vtie
07-20-2005, 01:04 AM
It looks like this is the "phatbox" solution. It's a removable hard disk with MP3's.

Sasquatch
07-20-2005, 05:23 AM
The picture in that link shows the car going sort of sideways. Isn't that supposed to be one of the things which AWD helps to avoid? Traction control? Stability?

What exactly is that guy doing there?

1Lieutenant
07-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Reviewing the site, I see ABSOLUTELY no changes from 2005. Did I miss anything. Glad I bought a 2005 with all the incentives and free maintenance.

Steve

ArtSmart
07-20-2005, 07:19 AM
The picture in that link shows the car going sort of sideways. Isn't that supposed to be one of the things which AWD helps to avoid? Traction control? Stability?

What exactly is that guy doing there?

You can use hand brake and spin it 360. It all depends on what you want to do. Here obviously they were trying to get a 'dynamic' looking picture

Sasquatch
07-20-2005, 07:52 AM
You can use hand brake and spin it 360. It all depends on what you want to do. Here obviously they were trying to get a 'dynamic' looking picture

Not exactly the best way to showcase all the control mechanisms they employ. Why not just show it getting crushed by an 18 wheeler to defeat the safety claims?

adamc
07-20-2005, 08:32 AM
Looks like 2006 has AWD upgrade "Instant Traction". I was curious.

Found this on Swedespeed:

TORONTO – Volvo Car Corporations’ all-wheel drive system, available with every Volvo vehicle as optional or standard equipment, has undergone an upgrade for the 2006 model year to improve performance and further reduce the likelihood of wheel spin.
The Volvo electronically-controlled all-wheel drive system now features Instant Traction. This new technology improves the scope for quick getaways and provides enhanced traction on slippery surfaces. It has been developed by the Swedish company Haldex.

A non-return valve in the hydraulic control system prevents the AWD system from being completely drained of hydraulic fluid (and pressure) as the vehicle slows to a stop. When starting from standstill, 59 lb.-ft (80 Nm) of torque is pre-charged in the system. As a result, the pre-charged torque engages the rear wheels much faster than previous AWD systems, which required wheel spin of a one-seventh turn of the front wheels before power was redistributed.

KILOFINAL
07-20-2005, 11:07 AM
From what I have read, besides the instant traction, there are minor changes to some packages. The convenience package now includes factory tint on the rear side/back windows etc.

ChuckK
07-20-2005, 11:47 AM
As a result, the pre-charged torque engages the rear wheels much faster than previous AWD systems, which required wheel spin of a one-seventh turn of the front wheels before power was redistributed.

It's about time they made this improvement. I'm getting so tired of waiting and waiting for that wheel to make one-seventh of a turn when I start up on slippery roads. (Actually as I recall reading the Haldex literature it's quite a bit less than one-seventh of a turn.)

birddog
07-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Not exactly the best way to showcase all the control mechanisms they employ. Why not just show it getting crushed by an 18 wheeler to defeat the safety claims?

Who bloody cares? Maybe some people will think this picture makes the car look exciting to drive.

vtie
07-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Reviewing the site, I see ABSOLUTELY no changes from 2005.
Steve

The major improvement in the 2006 range is the second generation D5 diesel engine. If you are interested in a diesel and it's sold in your country, it's very interesting on its own. Apart from that, I don't see anything relevant that has been changed.

Sasquatch
07-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Who bloody cares? Maybe some people will think this picture makes the car look exciting to drive.

That's just it. It ISN'T exciting to drive with all this electronic override crap running it for you.

littlewaywelt
07-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Looks like 2006 has AWD upgrade "Instant Traction". I was curious.

Found this on Swedespeed:

TORONTO – Volvo Car Corporations’ all-wheel drive system, available with every Volvo vehicle as optional or standard equipment, has undergone an upgrade for the 2006 model year to improve performance and further reduce the likelihood of wheel spin.
The Volvo electronically-controlled all-wheel drive system now features Instant Traction. This new technology improves the scope for quick getaways and provides enhanced traction on slippery surfaces. It has been developed by the Swedish company Haldex.

A non-return valve in the hydraulic control system prevents the AWD system from being completely drained of hydraulic fluid (and pressure) as the vehicle slows to a stop. When starting from standstill, 59 lb.-ft (80 Nm) of torque is pre-charged in the system. As a result, the pre-charged torque engages the rear wheels much faster than previous AWD systems, which required wheel spin of a one-seventh turn of the front wheels before power was redistributed.
I'm prettu sure this is the system they put in the xc90v8 to preload the rear wheels.

KILOFINAL
07-21-2005, 06:52 AM
Yes, this is the same "pre charged" system they use in the XC90 V8.

DCinDC
07-23-2005, 07:10 PM
I believe the 4C adjustable chasis is also now an available option on the 2006 models in NA.

Andiman
07-23-2005, 09:57 PM
The 05 at 1.8% leasing was choice and my X-Plan...2% above dealer cost made it so easy. VW was charging me 7.5% leasing on the passat wagon at 43K..My XC Black Sapphire is actually a lower monthly lease amount by $50.00 and the XC70 BlkSapp came in at 60K.

so happy..but wished the tiptronic was smarter...I find if you forget your in tip mode..the RPM's readline...and also if your distracted and are in Tip...tromping on the accelerator instantly does nothing unless you gear down manually. My Passat Tiptronic, which is Audi, is smart and takes over when you boot it to allow max acceleration then lets you take over very quickly.

Andiman

gary
07-24-2005, 12:02 AM
I believe the 4C adjustable chasis is also now an available option on the 2006 models in NA.

Yes it is available for the North American market, but it appears it has to be purchased in conjunction with DSTC (at least via orders through Volvo Cars Military Sales). DSTC looks to be a stand-alone option for 2006; for '04 & '05 cars, I believe it was tied to a package purchase.

Pluto
07-24-2005, 08:46 AM
4C is available in '05 models too.

littlewaywelt
07-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Yes it is available for the North American market, but it appears it has to be purchased in conjunction with DSTC (at least via orders through Volvo Cars Military Sales). DSTC looks to be a stand-alone option for 2006; for '04 & '05 cars, I believe it was tied to a package purchase.
DSTC was a stand alone option on 04 and 05.
4C was an option in late model 05s

Ron3KL
08-03-2005, 05:59 AM
On the Volvo accessories web site there is an Aluminium wheel "Oreander" 7 x 17" – XC70 06- listed (note 17" not 16"! )

However the description includes this bit of information that I haven't come across before:

Facts and Advantages

Prepared for use with SST (Tyre Supporting System) in combination with TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System).

skibo
08-07-2005, 11:00 PM
It's about time they made this improvement. I'm getting so tired of waiting and waiting for that wheel to make one-seventh of a turn when I start up on slippery roads. (Actually as I recall reading the Haldex literature it's quite a bit less than one-seventh of a turn.)

Yeah, I know <1/7 doesn't sound like much, but in a dynamic situation, even that seems like enough to cause trouble - going around a snowy curve, for example - once a wheel starts to slips, it wants to keep slipping.

I'd really love to be able to engage this Haldex unit manually in severe conditions to keep the front wheels far away from the point where they are about to slip.

Willy
08-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Indeed, it would be nice if you were able to chooce the way the traction is divided yourself.
And this exists, unfortunately not for Volvos, but for VW Synchro's, these cars do have Haldex systems.
An Austrian firm has a box that allows you to "force" the traction into 50/50
See: http://www.sperrer.at/sms/tuning/zubehf.htm (bottom of page)
Willy

Sasquatch
08-08-2005, 10:47 AM
AIR LOCKER LOCKING DIFFERENTIALS (http://www.arb.com.au/air_locker_design_engineering.htm)