PDA

View Full Version : What make Volvo safer?

CheesheadinMemphis
07-18-2005, 09:49 AM
I’m in the market to buy a new (used car probably a 02XC). I am interested in Volvo because of their reputation for safety and I have 2 year and 3 month old daughters to protect. In this era of many vehicles having traction control and multiple air bags what makes Volvo better/safer? Is there any statistical evidence of Volvo’s superior safety or specific features that can be referenced that proves Volvo has an edge? A friend’s 02 Lexus ES 300 is coming off lease in a few months and I could buy it from him pretty cheep but I am much more worried about safety than status

Also, what is the difference between the standard traction control and the optional stability control?

Thanks, I have been reading this forum for about a week and it is really top notch (Lots of informed and well though out answers) I have already learned enough about the throttle issue to buy a 02 or later.

1Lieutenant
07-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Volvo has taken a proactive view of safety long before it was fashionable. Not only does Volvo do computer analysis and standard government testing, but also sends teams of engineers to real world accidents to evaluate the performance of safety systems and use this information in future designs.

Computer models and standardized tests can only go so far to show the possible sources of injury that can occur. I believe that only Volvo, Mercedes and Saab do this.

Steve

Swamped
07-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Here's what happened to my 2002 V70XC after I was rear-ended by a van doing in excess of 50mph.

http://www.volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/displayimage.php?album=212&pos=0

Notice how the rear-end was not crushed (where a third row seat would have been installed). None of the occupants were injured, including an elderly passenger in the back seat. This vehicle protected us exactly as designed, but was a total loss.

I promptly bought a 2004 XC70 to replace it.

KILOFINAL
07-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Here's what happened to my 2002 V70XC after I was rear-ended by a van doing in excess of 50mph.

http://www.volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/displayimage.php?album=212&pos=0

Notice how the rear-end was not crushed (where a third row seat would have been installed). None of the occupants were injured, including an elderly passenger in the back seat. This vehicle protected us exactly as designed, but was a total loss.

I promptly bought a 2004 XC70 to replace it.

Glad to hear that everyone was fine. Safety was one of the main reasons why I bought a Volvo. The .88% lease rate didn't hurt. I don't care that I could have bought a fancy Lexus/Infiniti for the same price and perhaps fewer problems. Safety for the family has the highest priority.

ChuckK
07-18-2005, 05:19 PM
From a safety standpoint you would probably do well with a Volvo or a Lexus. Lexus products are probably very close to Volvo now from a safety standpoint. This can be seen in the vehicle death rates published by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and in the number of safety features. A big safety advance is electronic stability control. (Studies suggest it will save more lives than air bags and child safety seats combined.) If the Lexus has it, that could tip the scale in favor of the Lexus. Volvo unfortunately has been slow to make it available in its models.

The photo of the rear-ended XC70 does show that Volvo has done a good job of protecting passengers in the third-row seat. Unfortunately, for the majority of us who do not use a third-row seat, the structural rigidity Volvo added to the rear end goes counter to the usual crumple zone that is used to minimize acceleration loads on the passengers. From the standpoint of the usual 5 passengers, a rear end that crumples when hit would be safer.

Willy
07-19-2005, 01:17 AM
Hello,
Perhaps the people who drive Volvo's make them safer than others :)
Read all about STC/DSTC here: http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/s80/tech/s80tech2.shtml
Willy

birddog
07-19-2005, 04:54 AM
Hello,
Perhaps the people who drive Volvo's make them safer than others :)
Read all about STC/DSTC here: http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/s80/tech/s80tech2.shtml
Willy

I agree. One would expect that if safety be a reason why most choose to buy the Volvo brand, that they themselves be drivers who tend to drive more safely.

Willy
07-20-2005, 12:46 AM
I just noticed that the How-To Section of the resources also has a few documents on DSTC (I really should go there more often :o)
Willy

anthonya9999
07-30-2005, 08:42 AM
Hi -- on Mothers day this year I was in an accident of my own fault. I was nosing out of traffic without looking around the car to my left, and I side swiped a Ford Escape.

A few things:

Damage to my car? Undetectible. I didn't notice the scuff on my bumper until a few days later. And that's all it is is a scuff.

My 7 and 5 year old in the middle seats? Didn't even notice what had happened. Thought I was teasing when I said we were in an accident.

The Ford Escape? Totaled.

Any questions?

XC70Geo
07-31-2005, 01:45 AM
Anthonya,
the Volvo's safety concept is not to build a tank. If you are in a real accident, the safety zones in your car (front or end) should be destroyed, totaled to prevent the cabin. You would feel, nothing happened, nothing moved in the cabin, but when you get out, you see your car's front totally disappear. I hope no one will have to check it in real.
I think it was not a clear one to one situation. You should be lucky, and the Ford Escape wanted to save you, so totaled his car not to hit your car and family seriously.

Overall, you can trust in your car. It was not build to fulfill this or that "star" crash test, but the whole concept works to prevent you and you passangers. But anyhow, an accident is an accident, and there are no miracles even with a Volvo. Good luck.

RedXC
07-31-2005, 10:45 AM
The only reason why I drive and buy Volvos because they are safe. It does actually feels like I'm driving a tank. Well my 240 feels that way but the XC70, just another luxury car but with extra safeness.

littlewaywelt
07-31-2005, 04:12 PM
for starters:
valuing the rear seat passengers as much as the front.
Considering kids are so often back there, it would be nice if they had side impact air bags as well.

Making DSTC standard on all cars.