PDA

View Full Version : Front end thumping noise fixed - again

c900
07-18-2005, 02:51 AM
My 2003 XC70 is just over two years old and this is the second time I've had the "right front sway bar link" (part # 30714685-2) replaced under warranty.

The symptom was a thumping sound in the front end, particularly noticable at slow speeds while going over small bumps.

Does anyone know what the root cause of this problem is and whether this part will need to be replaced every year?

Tom H
07-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Similar problem here. My selling dealer said the problem had to do with some kind of wheel spacers. I've never heard of such a thing. The fix lasted for about one month then the thumping came back. I just gave up on it as there are no competent dealers within 80 miles of me. Just as you described, it is most noticible at low speeds.

skiweld
08-31-2005, 03:05 PM
I have had the front driver's side sway bar replaced on my 2001 XC five times now. The noise comes back usually within a few months. The car makes noise when turning at slow speeds or going over small bumps at slow speeds. It is particularly noticeable when the front of the car settles on the suspension going down a slight descent. My car is no longer under warranty and I have run out of ideas and the problem is not fixed. My brother had the same problem with his 2001. Does anyone have any suggestions? I go in to the dealership for service on Friday. Thanks!