PDA

View Full Version : seat belt alr release

littlewaywelt
07-16-2005, 07:29 PM
How does one release the seat belt when it's in autolocking retractor mode?
Our seat belt is stuck in this mode with nearly all the slack taken out/the seatbelt fully retracted.

We had this problem at least four times as far as I can recall on our 01 and now it's on our 05...on a seatbelt that's never been used (the center). Is there a way I can solve this without having to take the car to the dealer?

07-18-2005, 04:47 AM
How does one release the seat belt when it's in autolocking retractor mode?
Our seat belt is stuck in this mode with nearly all the slack taken out/the seatbelt fully retracted.

We had this problem at least four times as far as I can recall on our 01 and now it's on our 05...on a seatbelt that's never been used (the center). Is there a way I can solve this without having to take the car to the dealer?

i'm having the same issue with my 03...anyone?

Raynald
07-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Have you tried to fold down the seat and gently shake the seatbelt? My 2 cents...

07-19-2005, 05:10 AM
Have you tried to fold down the seat and gently shake the seatbelt? My 2 cents...

did that and the same thing happens. it's weird it locks most of th tiem but other times it will let you move

littlewaywelt
07-19-2005, 05:12 AM
actually doing that allows the seat back to pull even more slack it won't release into the seatback. This was so severe on one occassion I couldn't get the seatback to go back upright.

XC70Geo
07-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Do not fold down the seat, as it will retract more, and won't be able to fold up (there is some ball mechanism that holds the belt).
Check if you have the small plastic clip on the belt, that won't alloe the belt to retract. If not, ask your dealer.
I have had this small plastic clip broken two times.
If you want to fix it yourself, the seat belts lower points (under side cushion) can be unscrewed, and you can release the belt, and screw back the lower fix.

littlewaywelt
07-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Do not fold down the seat, as it will retract more, and won't be able to fold up (there is some ball mechanism that holds the belt).
Check if you have the small plastic clip on the belt, that won't alloe the belt to retract. If not, ask your dealer.
I have had this small plastic clip broken two times.
If you want to fix it yourself, the seat belts lower points (under side cushion) can be unscrewed, and you can release the belt, and screw back the lower fix.
Those plastic things broke on me a few times. In this case, it is not broken. The seat belt male end is not clipped into the female buckle. Can you provide a little more info re procedure to release the ALR in the seat belt (under side cushion)?

XC70Geo
07-23-2005, 06:56 AM
You can remove the outer part of the cushion by pulling it up and forth. Under it you can see the belt's end screewed by a 16 (or 15) mm bolt to the frame. Release it, and you can move the belt from it's locked state.

jpogriff
01-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Its is a 14mm on my 2001. What a ****ty design, or maybe leave some more slack before the stop.

slowflyer
01-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Check with your dealer, we had one seatbelt replaced for this reason under warranty after the regular warranty period had expired.

littlewaywelt
01-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Check with your dealer, we had one seatbelt replaced for this reason under warranty after the regular warranty period had expired.
Seatbelts typically have a longer warranty period.

Jorge-789995
05-18-2011, 07:45 PM
You can remove the outer part of the cushion by pulling it up and forth. Under it you can see the belt's end screewed by a 16 (or 15) mm bolt to the frame. Release it, and you can move the belt from it's locked state.

Ok, I have the seatbelt bolt off and given enough light and time to fiddle, I could probably get it back in, but I can not figure out how to get that side cushion out of the car. Can anyone give more specific directions than 'up and forth'? I can feel the mechanism that is holding it in place, and it seems like it should come out, but it won't. I'm giving it plenty of upward force too.

anyone?

Thanks,
Keith