PDA

View Full Version : 2005 XC 70 electrical shut down

stevechp
07-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Just left the house some 1 mile away with AC running all of a sudden the electrical goes dead, no dashbord display, MPH nothing, car still running, ac switches off, I turn on again then get message "ABS brake failure" stop safely, or something like that, so I stop no prolbem, decide to head home, no AC no displays, no window power, no emergency flashers, no turn signals, nothing. I did have a horn the car was heating up in the hot sun some 88 degrees out,I could NOT put the windows down, drove while holding the door open,to vent the heat out and reached home. Turned off the car and tried restarting nothing, could NOT restart, a message on the right side said "check engine". The rear lights were on, I could NOT turn them off. Waited 10 minutes saw the lights go off, I was able to start the car again with a new message about the SRS airbag. I am nervous to take it out again, except to the dealer on Monday Am.

The car just went into service for its 7500 mile check up and this all happen @ 8k wondering if I got a bug in a new software update, I did see the service personel hook up the car to a PC..

Starting off to a wonderful relationship with my 2nd Volvo, maybe my last, I never had a prolbem with my 1992 740 whishing it was in the driveway, looks like toast for dinner tonight, never made it food shoping.

I bit scary that a Volvo would loose its emergency signals and the ability to put the windows down as well.

Regards
Steve

PlaysWithCars
07-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Just left the house some 1 mile away with AC running all of a sudden the electrical goes dead, no dashbord display, MPH nothing, car still running, ac switches off, I turn on again then get message "ABS brake failure" stop safely, or something like that, so I stop no prolbem, decide to head home, no AC no displays, no window power, no emergency flashers, no turn signals, nothing. I did have a horn the car was heating up in the hot sun some 88 degrees out,I could NOT put the windows down, drove while holding the door open,to vent the heat out and reached home. Turned off the car and tried restarting nothing, could NOT restart, a message on the right side said "check engine". The rear lights were on, I could NOT turn them off. Waited 10 minutes saw the lights go off, I was able to start the car again with a new message about the SRS airbag. I am nervous to take it out again, except to the dealer on Monday Am.
This sounds EXACTLY like the symptoms described by a co-worker when she had an electrical module failure in her '99 s80. A passenger spilled a coffee drink into the center console, which had some electronic module underneath the tray. The plug for the module goes in from the top. As the chocolate-coffee-sugar-cream mixture drained past the plug, the pins started to corrode. Over the course of one week, she lost the ABS, brake lights, dash display, turn signals, window controls, airbags... all sorts of stuff. That was one expensive coffee drink!

Don't know if the '05 XC has the same module arrangment, but it sounds like a premature failure after only 7500 miles.

stevechp
07-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Dealer just ordered a new computer for car, will arrive tomorrow, driving a dealer loaner now. They stated they had a 2005 before with a prolbem sort of like this.

Something about the "SIM"

Steve

Sasquatch
07-19-2005, 12:04 PM
All that comes to mind is that Bill Gates had something to do with this car.

stevechp
07-19-2005, 04:08 PM
New computer, all is well, lets hope it stays well.

Steve

barrysharp
07-19-2005, 09:54 PM
New computer, all is well, lets hope it stays well.

Steve

They must have installed a new Apple Dual 2005 GHz PowerMac computer in your XC70 along with 8gig of RAM. :D

v70+xc70
07-20-2005, 12:05 AM
They must have installed a new Apple Dual 2005 GHz PowerMac computer in your XC70 along with 8gig of RAM. :D

Does that one come with a built in Ipod connector?

stevechp
07-20-2005, 07:00 PM
IT did NOT come with the Volvo Ipod converter, but one will plug in to the cd changer on the back of the radio