PDA

View Full Version : Got my new XC70/2006/D5/185hp today...

vtie
07-15-2005, 06:16 AM
I just picked up my new D5 with manual 6-speed. You may remember that I never got used to the geartronic in my previous 2005 XC70...

What can I say? Wow wow wow!!!
The upgraded D5 engine (185hp/400Nm) is silk smooth, very silent, reacts much faster and feels significantly more powerful! Add to this that now I again drive a manual transmission, and this is definetely going to be a real fun car to drive. Boy I missed that manual transmission!

If you consider that the particle emission of this new engine went down 95%, NOx emission down 50%, fuel consumption remains the same and price remains the same, all I can say is that Volvo really scored again with their second generation D5.

1Lieutenant
07-15-2005, 06:52 AM
Best of luck with the new XC!

All of us on the other side of the pond are jealous that we don't have the option for manual transmission and diesel engines. Guess our fuel supply isn't of high enough quality to allow this engine to run properly. Enjoy!

Steve

AWD*V70XC
07-15-2005, 07:18 AM
Guess our fuel supply isn't of high enough quality to allow this engine to run properly. Enjoy!

Steve

Steve, I think this is the new engine Volvo developed, that will run on your 'dirty' fuel. I think the idea behind this engine was that it could be used Worldwide with a few mods so I would expect you could be seeing some diesel engine cars arriving late '05/early '06, fingers crossed.

dlr97
07-15-2005, 03:51 PM
I hope the D5 gets to the US, but sadly I really doubt that we will get the manual gearbox. Sob...

vtie
07-16-2005, 02:19 AM
I hope the D5 gets to the US, but sadly I really doubt that we will get the manual gearbox. Sob...

Why not the manual gearbox? Is there no market for it? I have been driving the XC70 geartronic for 9 months and the manual six-speed for 1 day, and the latter one is 1000% more fun to drive.

The really amazing thing about the new generation D5 is its smoothness (for a diesel) and the torque. Between 1500 and 3000 rev/min, the torque is identical to the R engine. On a highway, at 2500 rev/min, you push the throttle and you are pressed to your seat by the acceleration. Instant adrenaline!

Driving can be really fun, especially with an average of 35 mpg...

birddog
07-16-2005, 03:37 AM
I much prefer a manual gearbox as well. Seems the only way we can get one here (US) is on a T5 or on the basic (non turbo) engines. The last manual Volvo I had was our 854 which was a blast to drive. I wonder if one took delivery from the factory if a manual gearbox could be had for a US customer?

dlr97
07-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Why not the manual gearbox? Is there no market for it? I have been driving the XC70 geartronic for 9 months and the manual six-speed for 1 day, and the latter one is 1000% more fun to drive.

I agree about driving fun. The excuse they give is that the market for manuals in the US is not big enough to justify getting the manual cars certified for emissions testing, etc. We have been asking Volvo for manual XC's since the late 1990's. BMW for one manages to get most of their models certified with manuals for the US market, so I don't think it is that much of a problem.

Dave

Dave

vtie
07-20-2005, 02:14 AM
The excuse they give is that the market for manuals in the US is not big enough to justify getting the manual cars certified for emissions testing, etc. We have been asking Volvo for manual XC's since the late 1990's.

Strange thing, this "global" market. You are asking for manual gearboxes but don't get them, and I am almost killing my dealer right now to have him offer the integrated iPod connection which Volvo introduced recently. Strange enough, Volvo Belgium doesn't seem to have any immediate plans to import it. My dealer is actually considering parallel import because he has quite a few customers asking for it (of course)

But, at least, we have diesels, manual gearboxes, and DSTC is a standard feature on all XC70's in Belgium... :p