PDA

View Full Version : Light end

AWD*V70XC
07-10-2005, 01:56 PM
I have noticed as I throw the car around that the rear end has a tendency to jump around and sometimes be "off-line" for the forward direction I am going in. In thinking about it, I feel the rear end could be heavier when just driving with a driver in it. I would think with any sort of a load and passengers up the weight should keep the car in line, anyway with goods or passengers I don't think I would be driving it like I do when empty.

This theory might be tested by some members when we get that white stuff known as snow, back again in a few months time and report if my findings are correct. Although I noticed it mainly in the wet it should be more noticeable on snow.

Desertxc
07-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Check out this thread from the V70R forum, An on going problem with side step of rear end http://www.v70r.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1659.

AWD*V70XC
07-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on that. I can't believe I have not seen this mentioned before. OMG another major problem with this car. I feel that me and Volvo are heading into one major bust-up, in court if it comes to it.

I am not a guinea pig for Volvo, if I was, they would give me car to test drive. But this is not the case because I bought the car, therefore it should be flawless, any design faults should be rectified when they become apparent.

I have not got to the stage yet where I would put someone off buying a Volvo but when I do it will be a total boycott.

Willy
07-13-2005, 03:10 AM
Putting more mass in the car will certainly bring more downpressure on the tyres, but it will also add to the inertia of the car. Wether this will enhance ore worsen the roadholding capabilities (in curves) is a complex matter with a lot of parameters invloved such as tyres, center of gravity and so on.
In general, I would think that the XC has a better weight distribution than most cars (eg. AWD) and that this should result in a better behavior of the rear end. Are you sure it is not the shifting of power that causes or "enhances" the behavior you decribe? After all, any provision can be fooled into an unwanted reaction.
Willy