PDA

View Full Version : New Radiators available, Volvo compatible

AWD*V70XC
07-06-2005, 02:26 PM
One part I have had to replace myself is/was the radiator now there is a company who can supply a Volvo compatible part at a fraction of an OEM product.

Partstrain.com radiators are mostly made of aluminium. All water-cooled radiators have an automatically controlled electric fan on the radiator.

Your car radiator is the primary cooling mechanism for your engine. Parts train's Radiators are a simple and elegant solution to the need for engine cooling. Parts train's Radiators are mostly made of aluminium. Light and strong, aluminium is great for making radiators. It is the material of choice for most of today’s radiators. Light and intelligently designed, aluminium radiators are standard on many of today’s new cars and trucks.

A small leak on your Radiator can be indicating a larger problem. A cooling system that runs low too often is less efficient and you can damage your cooling system by letting the coolant level get too low. Too little coolant flow can be bad, but at normal and high operating temperatures, the rate at which coolant moves through the radiator does not change the amount of heat that is dissipated by the cooling cores. The amount of cooling will not be reduced even when the mean temperature of the coolant rises and flows faster.

Many cheap coolants do not have the corrosion protection, PH balancing, or sediment prevention that the top-quality coolants do. These low quality coolants do not have the same additives of name brand coolants. To help your engine stay cooler, rev up your engine slightly when you are overheating in traffic to help push more air across the cooling cores and more coolant through the engine.

All water-cooled radiators have an automatically controlled electric fan on the radiator. The way the system is supposed to work is that, after the engine is started, the thermostat on the engine stays closed until the coolant temperature at the ENGINE reaches 87C (189F) degrees. It is the responsibility of the Radiator to keep the coolant temperature from running too high. However, if the temperature is too high it is not necessarily the radiator.

A poor radiator cap will not last as long or stay properly calibrated, and either open at too low or two high a pressure. Make sure your radiator cap is the proper one for your cooling system. Higher pressure means a higher boiling point, which means more efficient cooling. A new radiator cap is usually all that is required for this (but don’t over pressurise your radiator cores and wreck the whole system).

Most Radiators' cooling system failures arise from poor radiator maintenance. Many radiator problems can be prevented with regular maintenance and periodic professional inspections of you car radiator and cooling system. The most common radiator problems are: leaky fittings or seams, fin deterioration and bond failure, electrolysis, cracked tank, and fan damage.

Parts train's Aftermarket Parts, Replacement Parts and top grade Radiators are reasonably priced and the company makes sure they are durable. Parts train offers Volvo parts focused on reliability, quality, great designs and affordable price. With the Volvo tradition of designing efficient and innovative cars, Parts train has in its stock the widest array as well high standard Volvo Parts, Performance Parts, and Replacement Parts.

With only a few clicks, visit http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByVehicle/VOLVO and you will find Parts train's impressive array of highly durable and reliable Volvo Parts to match the equally impressive performance of your Volvo.

ArtSmart
07-07-2005, 05:58 AM
I thought you couldn't use this forum for advertising. "...simple and elegant solution to the need for engine cooling"...smooth. Who ever comes up with stuff like that?

BTW do your radiators have the coating that converts ground level ozone into oxygen as air flows through it? That would break my heart to know that I'm not doing the most for the environment while I drive :D

AWD*V70XC
07-07-2005, 06:50 AM
I thought you couldn't use this forum for advertising. "...simple and elegant solution to the need for engine cooling"...smooth. Who ever comes up with stuff like that?

BTW do your radiators have the coating that converts ground level ozone into oxygen as air flows through it? That would break my heart to know that I'm not doing the most for the environment while I drive :D

The company has nothing to do with me, I was only passing on some info that might be of interest to other members, I have put in quote marks to show what their PR has to say about the products.

Also as this was a PR blurb from the company concerned you have to expect a little advertising somewhere along the way, but it was not me who said those things, inside the quote marks.

1Lieutenant
07-07-2005, 06:52 AM
Note:
Revving engine in traffic to cool engine is useless, or worse, with an electric fan. BTW this does sound like and advertisement. Do you work for Parts train?

Steve

AWD*V70XC
07-07-2005, 07:04 AM
Do you work for Parts train?

Steve

NO I have nothing to do with them, the only reason I mention it is because when my rad 'went' it was not covered by any warranty and I had to fork out for a new one which cost me the guts of 500 pounds. I really object to being forced into buying parts from one supplier, the cost is always higher.

You want to know what really p*$$** me off? In two years my cars has cost me about £4000 to keep it on the road, everything that could have gone wrong was never within any warranty cover, so you know who's pocket it has come out of? I am sure you could buy parts cheaper for a Ford or Nissan without being forced to go to the main dealer all the time. Another example is the ETM replacement, you can do it yourself but without a VADIS update the car will not move an inch, so who is the person you have to go to to get the job done.?

If people would rather not have the choice of other parts and suppliers other than Volvo I will remove the post.

ArtSmart
07-07-2005, 07:20 AM
If people would rather not have the choice of other parts and suppliers other than Volvo I will remove the post.

Dude, don't go off the deep end! I'm sure lots of people here will apreciate the information.

What is really interesting though is that your radiator was not covered under warranty. How old is your XC? Was it still under factory warranty when it happened? How did they explain why they were not going to cover it?

AWD*V70XC
07-07-2005, 07:30 AM
What is really interesting though is that your radiator was not covered under warranty. How old is your XC? Was it still under factory warranty when it happened? How did they explain why they were not going to cover it?

I have a '01 car, and the radiator went in year 4, with an extended warranty in place but they said that the radiator was not one of the parts covered. I also had a blown rear box on the exhaust (which I never knew or heard it going) and that part was also not covered (which I half expected) but replacing an exhaust after four years of motoring with 75000 miles on the clock I think is a bit much.

The extended warranty (12 months) cost me £750 and two parts that were not covered cost me £680. That to me is very costly.

Over the last two years I have found Volvo, as a company really taken a tumble in their attitude towards the customer. Well that's fine because they have just lost one future/replacement customer and when I find another suitable substitute replacement I will ditch the Volvo, but for now I have nearly had all major parts replaced at my expense and the car is running fine. Even with a new ETM I am getting 30+ MPG which is better than the 24MPG I was getting prior to it dying.

ArtSmart
07-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Over the last two years I have found Volvo, as a company really taken a tumble in their attitude towards the customer. Well that's fine because they have just lost one future/replacement customer and when I find another suitable substitute replacement I will ditch the Volvo

That sucks for all of us. I guess when a company like FORD buys a company like Volvo you should expect quality and service going down to Ford's level (and not the other way around).

So if I get a Ford quality car with a Ford quality service, why did I pay Volvo price? :confused:

1Lieutenant
07-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Didn't mean to offend....not intended.

I too deplore the lack of third party replacement parts at a more reasonable cost. What really concerns me is the seemingly endless, and costly, repairs these cars require as they age. I wonder if these are isolated incidents or specific to a particular year.

Best of luck and continue to rant if it makes you feel better.

Sorry for your losses in London today. Our best wishes are with you and your Countrymen.

Steve

rojah the boggah
07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
I totally agree with AWD man.
Poor chap, he tries to help the forum and then gets it in the neck, read his text there is no way he was trying to "sell".

Quite frankly, as per a previous post that only got one response (is this a case that no one wants to "out" or "diss" how bad these cars can be? - debate), these older cars 2001/2002 have a 2 year shelf life. Get rid before 3 years is up, they are not built to last above 50K miles - trust us we know from bitter experience.

Old shape V70 models were fine, and latest 2005's are better.

Compared with Audi & BMW 4X4 of same ilk, Volvo's just do not last as long and more importantly (in UK at least) have dreadful depreciation.

As far as warranties, Volvo could not give a t**s.

1Lieutenant - thanks for your comments. I was on tube today when bombs went off, but luckily missed by a few mins, dreadful day for UK.

Regards Roj

John@CdnRockies
07-07-2005, 09:34 PM
I'm all for hearing about alternate sources of parts. Volvo sure seems to stick it to us when it comes to visiting their service departments. With 1500+ posts, AWD*V70XC has helped more than a few of us out!

John

AWD*V70XC
07-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the comments guys (Steve, Roj, Art). I am not justing ranting here, BTW, I am also giving VUK a good run for their money as well.

The latest little rant lead VUK to tell me (officially I assume, as it came from their lips) that my car is 'too old' 'I should expect things to go wrong with a car of my age' 'They (the cars) do not last like new forever, things do start to fail, it is a common occurrence with all cars'

Aaahhh FOR F***'s SAKE, you are really trying to tell me that an ABS module failure is "common" in month 39 (that's just over 3 years old), tell me that a radiator splitting is "common" in month 47, an ETM failing in month 56 is "common". (my car is a MY, when purchased had 60000 miles, now has 96000 miles, I would think the car is still in it's prime)

PLEASE LISTEN TO ME VOLVO,
WE DO NOT DRIVE "COMMON" CARS, WE DRIVE VOLVO'S BECAUSE (we believed) THEY WERE THE BEST CAR.

Check out my latest post, it is headed Volvometer that's pronounced vol - vom - o - ter not volvo meter. This will be a post where we can announce to the World our positive and negative points about our cars, our dealers, our experiences and above all how we feel Volvo is treating us.