PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Cetan rating

DanishXCViking
07-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Im planning on bringing a new XC D5 from Denmark to Canada in 11 months from now (military sales). Reading about the new D5 Diesel engine (185 Hp), it says: Minimum Diesel Cetan rating 48. Can anyone tell me what this is, and what the Cetan rating is if you buy Diesel in Canada on a gas station?
Test drove the new XC D5 2005 model in Sweden (Gothenburg) last week, man does that have an excellent acceleration!

DXCV

Willy
07-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi,
The cetane number is a reference to the capacity of the diesel fuel to self-ignition. It can be compared to the octane number of gasoline in that it the fuel should only burn "when the time is right". The higher the number the better, 48 is considered as premium diesel fuel, I don't think cetane numbers of more than 50 are offered as gas stations since that would not lead to further improvement. Modern, high-power engines need a higher cetane numbers.
Read all about it here: http://yarchive.net/car/cetane_number.html
Willy

DanishXCViking
07-03-2005, 12:33 PM
OK Willy got that thanks.
Can some of the Canadian members tell me then, if Premium Diesel is widely available all over Canada at gas stations (and in the states for that matter)?

DXCV

gary
07-04-2005, 03:06 AM
Im planning on bringing a new XC D5 from Denmark to Canada in 11 months from now (military sales). Reading about the new D5 Diesel engine (185 Hp), it says: Minimum Diesel Cetan rating 48. Can anyone tell me what this is, and what the Cetan rating is if you buy Diesel in Canada on a gas station?
Test drove the new XC D5 2005 model in Sweden (Gothenburg) last week, man does that have an excellent acceleration!

DXCV

Have you spoken with anyone in the Military Sales department yet? I know the diesel model isn't available for the North American market and I also know that in my dealings with Military Sales for the purchase of my '03 US spec XC70, that they didn't even offer the option of being able to purchase a diesel model; petrol models only. Unless the Military Sales program offers something different for the Canadian market/buyers, I suspect you won't have the option of being able to get a D5. I did look on the Volvo Canada website and it doesn't appear that the D5 is an option for general sale in Canada. Anyway...just food for thought...best of luck.

DanishXCViking
07-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Gary.

You are correct in saying, that the D5 is not available for the North American market. However Im buying a D5 on European specs. You can do that when you are in the Danish military and being stationed in a NATO post in the US or Canada. In other words, im buing a D5 on military sales for delivery to my home adress in Denmark, then bringing it with me to Canada with my household and driving it for my 5 year post. After that I plan to bring it back to Denmark and registring it at home (and paying another 180% tax to get danish plates for it Tsk. Tsk.)
Still hoping somebody in Canada can give me an answer to my original question?

DXCV.

pico de luuks
07-04-2005, 09:43 AM
DXCV

Found this on the shell website (http://www.shell.ca/code/motoring/encyclopedia/diesel/diesel.html)

Paraffins also offer the best cetane rating, a precise scientific measure of the starting properties of diesel fuels. The Canadian federal minimum standard for cetane is 40 and Shell diesel exceeds this requirement.

(In some European countries, cetane typically exceeds 50. But such fuels also have higher cloud points that are not practical in severe Canadian winters. And note: cetane is NOT a measure of power.)

As far as getting a European spec Diesel into North America, I would double check as I know of a few people that have tried that for the US market and VOLVO did not want to sell them a diesel. The reasoning they gave: no qualified personnel in the US and Canada to perform maintanance, service and warranty issues on the latest generation diesel engines... :o

Hope this helps

Art
07-04-2005, 09:47 AM
DXCV,

From what I understand, diesel fuel sold at all pumps across Canada is LS (Low Sulphur) and is required to have a minimum cetane rating of 40. More info here. (http://www.ec.gc.ca/energ/fuels/reports/fullreport/fullReport_p4_e.cfm) Most diesel ratings typically ranges in between 41-45.

Some suppliers such as Petro Canada (http://www.petro-canada.ca/index.htm) blend in a lubricant to their diesel to help minimize wear during colder months of the year. I believe that Shell and Chevron Canada also employ this practice.

Sunoco (http://www.sunoco.ca/content.asp?id=153) appears to sell their Premium Gold Diesel (min cetane 45) exclusively in Ontario. (http://www.sunoco.ca/retail_summary.asp?mscssid=49FL5FJB0AD99J1CME2KWRK S7TRKDRR1)

gary
07-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Gary.

You are correct in saying, that the D5 is not available for the North American market. However Im buying a D5 on European specs. You can do that when you are in the Danish military and being stationed in a NATO post in the US or Canada. In other words, im buing a D5 on military sales for delivery to my home adress in Denmark, then bringing it with me to Canada with my household and driving it for my 5 year post. After that I plan to bring it back to Denmark and registring it at home (and paying another 180% tax to get danish plates for it Tsk. Tsk.)
Still hoping somebody in Canada can give me an answer to my original question?

DXCV.

DXCV,

After I typed in my response and re-read your post, it occurred to me that you might be a Danish military member, so my apologies and I hiope you are able to find out the information you need and I hope you enjoy your post in Canada. I know that I've certainly enjoyed my six years thus far in Europe (five in Germany; 1 here in the UK so far).

DanishXCViking
07-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Your right Gary. I guess I wasnt very specific about that in my post, my apollogies.
I guess im gonna have to call Volvo i Sweden to sort out my questions. You have a point there Pico de luuks, about maintenance, just another thing to sort out by calling Volvo.
Thanks everybody.

DXCV