PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Volvo XC70 - HELP!

STCarey
06-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Hi everyone! This is my first post in this forum. I am glad I came across it. My husband and I are expecting our 2nd little one and we were thinking of getting a Volvo Wagon. I came across a 1998 Volvo XC70 and V70 Cross Country AWD TURBO WAGON for what I think is a good price. It only has 68K miles.

I HATE the broad general questions you see on forums...but here goes mine...what advice would you give me about this vehicle? Are we looking at a reliable car? To me...that's the bottom line.

Thanks for your time!

Suzanne

STCarey
06-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Well I guess there are not very many enthusiastic people in this forum about this car...and that is okay. I did not expect a ton of responses, maybe 1 or 2. But despite that, we ended up getting it b/c it was a good price for the car.

I am sure I will enjoy it for many, many years to come.

Suzanne

PlaysWithCars
06-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Suzanne,
Congratulations on your new purchase. With a bit of regular maintenance, and the awareness that electrical issues seem to be the primary source of problems for newer cars, you will be well prepared to drive your 1998 XC for many years.

There are several enthusiastic people on this forum. However that does not mean that they visit every day, and read/reply to every thread. Even the most enthusiastic people have to take a break from repeating themselves to take a breath.

Your question has been a popular one on this forum, so it is reasonable that there are not many responses within the narrow 24-hour window to your specific question. Perhaps if you were to do a search on this forum using the phrase "new owner" or "newbie" or "purchase", you would find several instances where enthusiastic people have replied to similar questions.

You will find suggestions for having a qualified mechanic look the vehicle over before making a purchase, specific items on the car to check, suggestions for particular dealers to visit/avoid, and maybe even some local owners who might be willing to help you.

Try using the search function, and you might be amazed at what you will find. Then if that fails, start clicking on the previous pages and scanning the titles of posts that look interesting. Yes, it takes some time, but it will likely be less time than spent by the side of the road waiting for a repair that could easily have been avoided.

Some topics of interest to you will include:
-ABS module failure
-AWD system maintenance
-tire replacement
-repair history (timing belt, front upper spring perches, cabin air filter)
-ETM (although note that your 1998 does not have the flawed design part of the 1999 and later cars)
-recalls and upgrades, like the wiring harness to the headlights
-VOPLE system downloads
-spare keys and remotes

Good luck with your new car!

just66horns
06-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Glad you bought it.

But, why do you need the AWD. It adds alot of complication and weight (less fuel economy etc..) I live in western colorado, and bought the car because it had awd, for the mountains in the winter. You would not beleive these things in deep snow... wonderful. This is my fourth volvo wagon. Love it, and so does the wife.