PDA

View Full Version : New Transmission or Valve Body?

christine
05-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Our 2001 Volvo XC V70, 125,000 miles has been shifting VERY roughly and front end shimmies under loaded acceleration. Volvo dealer recomends Valve Body job ($1500) or new Transmission ($4500). But they are not a lot a lot of help as far as which way to go. Any body else had transmission problems? THANKS

v70+xc70
05-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Is the fluid clean? Has the filter been replaced? Is it shifting badly in all gears or certain of them?

jbl
05-26-2005, 11:24 AM
In general regarding AT boxes then problem as you have described is to flush them. Has Volvo read codes and from there suggesting to replace the valvebody.

These AT boxes is very sensitive to dirt. It seems very easy for the valves to start jamming even if oil is fresh.

Depending if Vadis has come up with error codes i think you can trust your workshop.

The workshop should be able to decide if flushing could be enough or not.

bay13
05-30-2005, 08:50 PM
I'd start with a transmission flush. Followed by a check for any Transmission control Module upgrades that might be available. I'd shy away from the valve body only job with the mileage you have, unless they want to back up that repair and agree to compensate you if the valve body doesn't do the trick.