PDA

View Full Version : Driver window rattle

wgriswold
05-25-2005, 01:35 PM
I know this has been addressed before, but I am hoping for some new info. The driver's window rattles and is driving me crazy. If I lower it and close it the rattle goes away for awhile. It does not rattle if down. I can stop the rattle by pushing very hard on the window or less hard on the inside of the door itself about where my left elbow naturally hits the door. Anybody else with this problem? Naturally, I'm expecially interested in solutions. Is this something the dealer will address since I'm now in the third year of the warranty? The dealer is 100 miles away and I want to visit him armed with all the info I can get.

Thanks all.

littlewaywelt
05-25-2005, 01:41 PM
I know this has been addressed before, but I am hoping for some new info. The driver's window rattles and is driving me crazy. If I lower it and close it the rattle goes away for awhile. It does not rattle if down. I can stop the rattle by pushing very hard on the window or less hard on the inside of the door itself about where my left elbow naturally hits the door. Anybody else with this problem? Naturally, I'm expecially interested in solutions. Is this something the dealer will address since I'm now in the third year of the warranty? The dealer is 100 miles away and I want to visit him armed with all the info I can get.

Thanks all.
If the car is in warranty the dealer should address it.

AWD*V70XC
05-25-2005, 02:04 PM
From memory, the window parts are connected to the door control module, if your window is rattling I would think your door might start to have a few problems when locking. I have never opened the door myself but I am sure a couple of screw turns might do the job instead of a new unit, which always seems to be the dealers option.

barrysharp
05-25-2005, 03:12 PM
If the rattle is an easily repeated event then under your new car warranty 4yrs/50,000miles the dealership will/should fix it as soon as they hear it rattle. I'm always curious about this sort of warranty item as I'm unclear if they fall under the first 12 months for 'fit&finish' warranty items. Be sure to discuss this with your dealership service dept before taking that 100 mile trip - and hopefully that 100 miles doesn't cause your odometer to pass through the 50,000 mile mark. ;)

wgriswold
05-25-2005, 03:18 PM
The rattle is reproducable on my bad local roads. I'll have to find a bad road near the dealer.

XC70Geo
05-26-2005, 12:31 AM
When my window goes up fully, 1-2 sec after it "locks" itself, the base moves a little outwards. Does your window behave like this?

I had a problem, when my window was auto-closing it reopened for 1 inch again. I had to pull the button manually to close it.
The dealer connected to the computer, drove some times up and down, and recalibrated, no problem since that time. They did it under warranty.

Rattling can be some loosen part. I you mind, I can send some pics about how to take off the door's panel.

wgriswold
05-26-2005, 01:03 PM
When the window is closed, after a sec or so it seems to relax or come down a tiny bit. That stops the rattle. Then after a while, it starts to rattle again. Then I repeat the process.

Pics would be great.

kat
05-26-2005, 02:33 PM
... If I lower it and close it the rattle goes away for awhile. It does not rattle if down. I can stop the rattle by pushing very hard on the window or less hard on the inside of the door itself about where my left elbow naturally hits the door. Anybody else with this problem?
Thanks all.

Yup exactly the same, had in it the drivers side, fixed under warranty no problem. Then a few months later came back but in the passenger side, left it and its gone away. Then came back to drivers side but also gone away. Thought it came back again but this time Tic Tacs my daughter had kept in the rear door pull slot!

At the moment its OK.....

wgriswold
05-26-2005, 03:02 PM
I wonder if the rattle might be temperature related. Contraction and expansion causing the noise to come and go.

MTBGuy
05-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Exactly the same thing has been happening to me with both front windows in my 2003 XC70. I have asked the dealer to fix this issue. Last time in, they spent hours working on the "rivets" in the crank mechanism, but the problem remained. "Tightening up" the windows with the switch works, but they seem to loosen again when the door is opened then closed.

Anybody had a successful fix that I can point the dealer towards?

kat
05-31-2005, 05:29 AM
I wonder if the rattle might be temperature related. Contraction and expansion causing the noise to come and go.

Well the sun has come out this weekend and guess what the rattles have begun again so it maybe temperature related, bringing the wiindow downa nd backup sorts it out for little while then its back a few mins latter.

Also someone dinged my car in the car park at the weekend b*****d , so not happy :(

wgriswold
09-08-2005, 06:05 PM
I went to the dealer last week and here is his solution. The problem seems to be related to the automatic up and down feature of the front windows. The switch actually has four features. If you carefully feel the switch there are two positions. About halfway up is not automatic, then you can feel an indent and automatic up is activated. So, you can raise or lower the window manually or automatically. When the window is closed automatically (maybe also with manual closing) it can go slightly further if you toggle the switch again. This stops the rattle. I haven't quite figured all this out so I can reproduce the solution every time. Sometimes the window relaxes a bit and then hitting the switch again does nothing. As I say, I cannot reliable reproduce the behavior every time, but this seems to be the right solution. Either I don't quite understand the system or the computer changes the parameters on me. Simple answer: If your window rattles hit the switch and if the window goes up an little (~1/16") the rattle goes away.

hd70
09-09-2005, 02:37 AM
I had a rattle on the passengers side. Dealer tried to fix it two times without success. All kinds of explanation what was loose or not right. Finally he found a loose rivet and put in a new one. Now the rattle is gone. He was not specific where the rivet is and I also didn't care.

XC70Geo
09-09-2005, 02:53 AM
wgriswold, as I know the window must end in the same position if you use the manual or auto-up function.
Try to ask your dealer to do a re-calibration on your window (VADIS feature via OBD-II).

Mitch
11-15-2005, 05:47 PM
So...we picked up our 'new to us' 2004 XC70 and there was a rattle that was just driving me crazy. Showed up sometimes on idle, but mostly over rough roads.

As I had 78K kms on it, I was getting everything checked out before the warranty ran out. I asked them to check for the rattle and when I picked up the car, they mentioned that they hadn't found it. Hmmm...I was tired of waiting and just left. I live 200kms from the dealer.

This past Monday (Nov 14), I was in for service (replaced bevel gear under warranty) and figured that I was going to mention again about the rattle and I would offer to show the mechanic. After 3 1/4 hours, the mechanic comes over to me and says that after a test drive, he was not able to find the rattle. So I said that I would show him.

We get outside, I start lightly banging on the door and he says: Volvo says you shouldn't bang on the door. Not in a bad way, but just kinda joking. So we go for a ride and after about 1 min, he hears it.

I then pull the car out back and actually drive it in the service bay. I watch him as he pull off the door trim, connectors, peels off the rubberized insulating foam with a razor blade and then we are looking right inside the door. It is then very obvious that the window guide is loose. There is a rivet that seems to have backed off, so he drills it out, replaces it, then puts everything back together and gives me the car.

I then proceed to leave and the rattle is worse than before! I was kinda in a rush so I figured I would just tell them about it so they could keep the Work Order open and still cover on warranty (I was at 80,200kms). The service guy says hang on and gets the mechanic again. The guy says: No problem, let's look at it again.

SO...he takes everything apart again and we can't find the rattle. I'm holding the foam back while he's looking inside the door with a mirror. Nothing was loose inside, although we noticed that if you held your hand at a certain spot, the rattle would go away.

He then says that he has an idea and comes back with about 3x3" strips of windshield rubber sealant. He stuffs it between the window motor and the sheet metal of the door and voila, rattle gone, both of them!

-Mitch

2004 XC70, (rattle free!)
1999 Passat, 1.8T Tiptronic
1988 Landcruiser (for sale!)
1969 Triumph GT6+

Jonliv
11-16-2005, 07:12 AM
I have a rattle as well, mine seems to be associated with the rainshields (crack the window in the rain and keeps the rain out). Only on the drivers side. If you position the window in a certain spot no more rattle.

Any suggestions on how to correct it? Dealership can't do anything as the rainshields are aftermarket. And I like the rainshields and do not want to get rid of them.