PDA

View Full Version : Have the ideas, need more info.

Zig
05-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Ok, we have the XC90 in the stable and it's had it's first bath from me.
Next weekend it gets clayed and Zaino'd (previous owner apparently didn't care), and I found that someone doesn't know how to use a tire mounting machine. All four wheels have the clear coat torn from them the whole way around the outside rim lip.

My question lies in my plans. I'm looking at a set of 18" Heico Volution V. wheels. Factory wheels are 17" currently w/65 series tires. If I move up in wheel size, and keep the tire reasonably close to factory height (with the taller wheels), will the vehicle need a "flash" done to the onboard computer for the new rolling stock? I'm looking at having a set of Heico's for spring/summer use and use the abused factory stock for fall/winter use. My concern is possibly needing to configure the solid states each time.

Tied in with this, is an exhaust upgrade. Will the computer need to know the exhaust is aftermarket to get optimum performance from it? I want to open up the exhaust side, then start working on it's lung capacity (turbo vane enhancements - intake enhancements)

Big
05-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Good deal! 18" wheels and 235/60R18 tires are standard on the T6 & V8 so if you keep to that size nothing needs to be done. Just make sure the wheel offset is correct.

As for performance mods, I'd talk to IPD (http://www.ipdusa.com/). Their anti-sway bars get good reviews and they have exhaust systems and other upgrades. Let us know how things go.

emanon
05-16-2005, 11:31 PM
I'd rather check out Heico's info. They offer complete wheels 18'' with 255/55R18. 255!...

No mention of any onboard setting to be upgraded. There are people using 17'' and 235/17 tires (tires are cheaper) and 18'' summer wheels with no fuzz.

Good luck. The volution will surely suit your XC.
emanon

Zig
05-17-2005, 05:23 AM
18" wheels and 235/60R18 tires are standard on the T6 & V8

Big - first off, thanks for all your info. It's been very helpful to me since I recently joined.
However, I'm confused by the statement I have quoted above. The 2003 T6 that we bought has 17" factory wheels on it, and a sticker inside the drivers door that lists both the 17" and 18" wheels as possible rolling stock. I was under the impression the 18" wheels were part of a package upgrade. The 17" wheels were "standard", not making a difference what power plant is in the vehicle.(?)

s_donley
05-17-2005, 05:40 AM
To my knowledge the 18's are not standard on any engine. They are only available via packages.

Big
05-17-2005, 05:19 PM
To my knowledge the 18's are not standard on any engine. They are only available via packages. Correct, I mistyped. What I was thinking is that I have rarely seen a T6 without 18" wheels as almost everyone here gets the package that includes them. I remember that early on the T6 came with 17" standard and the 2.5T had 16" (ugh).

Mr. P
05-18-2005, 12:25 PM
HEICO makes a good product, but the BSR is the easiest to install.

http://engstrom.net/cgi-bin/SoftCart.100.exe/scstore/p-PPC_VOLVO.html?L+scstore+ndpk9884ff72ea72+11164557 37

As for the sway bars, they're cheaper than the installation labor to get them on the car, as I recall. Not an easy task on the XC90

Mr. P

Botanique
05-22-2005, 06:25 AM
Hey Zig - Nice to see another fellow Z person on the forum. My XC90 was delivered new in January, but in Belgium I had to wait until March before the rain stopped long enough to Z the car. Mine is Black Sapphire metallic - a challenge to keep clean but looks great after the QD (Z6). I've had to clay bar some scratches off the hood followed by a coat of Z5 which took them out completely. Nice to know there is another XC90 owner out there who has embraced the Zen of Zaino.

chaimemet
05-22-2005, 05:17 PM
I have been Zainoing for years, my XC70 02 OR, wife's STS AWD V8 05, and my last love Firehawk 00, here is the STS. :D