PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) Anyone?

SYS
05-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Since I'm picking up my factory ordered XC70 tomorrow, I called my Geico insurance to make the necessary changes to my policy so I'll be covered while driving it home. To my pleasant surprise, my premium actually came down in spite of the fact that the new XC70 is replacing my wife's 12 year old, beat up BMW that has a market value of only around $3,000. Insurance wise, it's cheaper to own a brand new Volvo than a 12 year old junk???

AND the new and cheaper insurance premium INCLUDES the 7 year or 100,000 miles Mechanical Breakdown Insurance that covers the sort of repairs that the 4 year Volvo warranty won't cover -- bumper to bumper. With only $250 deductible, I sure like this better than those questionable extended warranties. Apparently not all insurance companies have this MBI policy, so if anyone's interested in looking at an alternative to extended warranties, check this thing out. I've been with Geico for well over a decade, and they've been really good to me. After having read ALL sorts of electrical and mechanical problems associated with Volvo and having suffered nagging second thoughts on my order for two full months, I can now finally RELAX!!!!! :D

AWD*V70XC
05-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Well done, I think you found some peace of mind that others would pray they had. Not so sure that Volvo's own insurance works the same way in the UK but I was also pleased with what they offered me as a package - free glass, free car, free driver to take the car to the end of its journey or home - with the family in it.

Sometimes it pays just to see what is in the market place, and what's best for you comes with greater bolt-ons and a smaller price tag. Thanks for the head up and I hope some of your Stateside buddies follow your choice of cover.