PDA

View Full Version : Nokian NRZi on XC70

kat
05-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Has anyone planted Nokian NRZi on the XC70 and if so how have you found them.

Reason for asking is looking to change the 2 STR (rear) and 2 Michelin I have on currently.

xc70fin
05-06-2005, 12:21 PM
I just bought Nokian NRVi tires and I am very happy with them!

You can find closest dealer by using www.nokiantires.com

They have new Z tire (different than NRZi) and I am planning to use it in my Allroad. I do not know it they make it xc70 size.

kat
08-15-2005, 05:55 AM
I just bought Nokian NRVi tires and I am very happy with them!

You can find closest dealer by using www.nokiantires.com (http://www.nokiantires.com/)

They have new Z tire (different than NRZi) and I am planning to use it in my Allroad. I do not know it they make it xc70 size.

I am going with the NRVi tyres as well, did you go with the standard size 215/65 R16? Still happy with them?

Soft
08-15-2005, 12:25 PM

Allroad and xc70 :-), so brief, what is the prefered one ? :-)

TrueBlue
08-16-2005, 09:46 AM
I am going with the NRVi tyres as well, did you go with the standard size 215/65 R16? Still happy with them?

Be careful Kat; over here XCs require a Z rated tyre but stateside V is OK. I get panicky in case after a "prang" an insurance company could avoid a claim under the "unapproved modification" rule. Of course you could always tell them first - but I suspect they wouldn't know what you were talking about.

Keep me posted 'cos I'd like to go that way too when my set wears out!

kat
08-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Be careful Kat; over here XCs require a Z rated tyre ...

I am a bit confused the Scorpion STR I have down as 215/65 R16 98V, ie a "V" rated tyre or am I missing something?

gary
08-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Be careful Kat; over here XCs require a Z rated tyre but stateside V is OK.

HHmmm...that's interesting True Blue. I contacted the Volvo dealership in Bury St. Edmunds a few weeks ago enquiring about replacement tires (my OEM STRs have 32K on them and I will probably replace them in the not too distant future). Here is what they told me (via email, so it's cut/paste verbatim):

"Thanks for your enquiry about tyres for your XC70. I am assuming that the speed rating is "V". If this is the case Pirelli Scorpions are the only "V" rated tyre in that size available. These are priced at £89 each inc vat. However if the tyres are "H" speed rated, there is a Michelin Syncrome available. These are priced at £109 each inc vat. The only difference in the speed rating is that V rated tyres are capable of travelling at 147 MPH, as apposed to H rated tyres having a maximum speed of 130 MPH."

There was no mention of the need for a "Z" rated tire for the XC70 - are you sure about this? I'm with Kat - my current STRs are "V" rated. The Parts Dept person does know that I am an American and have a US Spec XC70, but I can't imagine that his response was geared towards my being American (but perhaps it was, in which case I will give him an A+ for making the effort to make that distinction.)

kat
08-17-2005, 06:39 AM
"... However if the tyres are "H" speed rated, there is a Michelin Syncrome available.

Story in itself I have posted elsewhere but I have some Michelin Syncromes already on my second set of wheels which I intend to use in the UK winter weather. Appreciate this is overkill for South of UK we don't have the weather to warrant it but was able to pick up tyres and wheels very cheap from a brokers yard for no more than the tyres themselves, less infact.

I am told by my tyre dealer I should get a a lot more life out of the NRV than the STRs which see only 20k (miles) on the front.

By the way have seen on mytyres.co.uk the STRs for less than £70 each fitted.

Anyway hoping there will be another UK get together and maybe down in Slindon for some rough stuff and I can get to try the Syncromes for real!

funglenn
08-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Has anyone planted Nokian NRZi on the XC70 and if so how have you found them.

Reason for asking is looking to change the 2 STR (rear) and 2 Michelin I have on currently.

You do not state what year you have, but I thought that in 2002 and older you are not supposed to mix and match tires. I assume you have a newer one?

TrueBlue
08-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Gentlemen, especially Kat, I must humbly admit to making a foul up. In my mind I was recalling a discussion I had with Volvo UK, a tyre distributor, and my insurance company about my wife's bog standard V70 HP, which requires 215/65 ZR 16s.

I'm sure you'll all agree that her car is definitely lacking in the wellie department - so I naturally assumed that the XC, having some 40 more horses would require more sturdy shoes. It appears not so, it requires less.

I shall never understand tyre ratings; the speed factor is obviously not appropriate, well not if I drive in the UK. Tyre people say it's more to do with the construction, when pushed further they go quiet. Volvo says - RTFM (or owners manual) - nothing else is approved, etc, etc. Insurance companies offer dark threats.

So there we have it, grovel, grovel. The STR is a V rated. As to using H rated - well I'll keep shtum (?spelling) on that one.

I think I'd like to join Mr. Murphy and create Mike's first law of motoring, which is - " The tyre you really, really want to use is always available only in a higher (or lower) speed rating than you need.

Further note for UK owners - If you want Nokians get them before the winter sets in in Europe, 'cos when it has all our continental cousins will snap them up and there be none available - as the factory starts making summer tyres in January.

BTW I'm afraid to fit the 235 tyres (as much recommended) for similar reasons to the above argument. It really is tough over here...

kat
08-17-2005, 01:49 PM
You do not state what year you have, but I thought that in 2002 and older you are not supposed to mix and match tires. I assume you have a newer one?

Mine is a MY2004 so whilst I understand it is OK to mix and match tyres if you must its neverthless frowned upon by Volvo. Generally I do not like mixing tyres anyway and now have 2 full sets of matching wheels tyres, Nokian NRVi and Syncromes.

Interestingly on the jack (to change the wheel) it does state not to mix and match the tyres.

kat
08-17-2005, 01:58 PM
.. my insurance company about my wife's bog standard V70 HP, which requires 215/65 ZR 16s.

Thought that might be the case, called being human, I do it all the time!

BTW I'm afraid to fit the 235 tyres (as much recommended) for similar reasons to the above argument. It really is tough over here...

Me too, same reason I went for the NRVi as well as it is a XC70 standard size so a direct replacement for the STR, an insurance will not have issue with that... except! On the tyre it states that its an "ALL SEASON in North America only" which I thought was odd. The good news is initial impressions as I went out for a drive this evening is very good. Handling a real improvment less body roll. The tyres have a higher laod rating (102) than the STR so guess stiffer in the side walls, may have been quieter so happy so far. Big test is driving in France and Spain over next 2 weeks, it gets very hot so will see if thats affects anything.