PDA

View Full Version : Window Tint

ksmif
05-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi there,
I'm a new (to me) Volvo owner. I have a 2001 v70 xc that I am enjoying a lot! I don't have window tint the rear passenger area, or the rear end at all. Is this normal? I would like to get the windows tinted, as I have kids who like to make faces at other families while driving around! Also, it's nice to feel like I have some bit of privacy ;)
I'm looking for suggestions on what would look the most like factory installed... Thanks!
Ksmif

Willy
05-03-2005, 01:04 AM
Hello,
Of course it is entirely up to you to have your windows tinted, but I find them unsafe in that for other drivers it becomes more difficult to look through your car. This is certainly so when looking sidewards, you are than faced with two tinted windows.
If it is up to me, I choose to look at your children making faces :D
Enjoy the car,
Willy

littlewaywelt
05-03-2005, 04:08 AM
Hi there,
I'm a new (to me) Volvo owner. I have a 2001 v70 xc that I am enjoying a lot! I don't have window tint the rear passenger area, or the rear end at all. Is this normal? I would like to get the windows tinted, as I have kids who like to make faces at other families while driving around! Also, it's nice to feel like I have some bit of privacy ;)
I'm looking for suggestions on what would look the most like factory installed... Thanks!
Ksmif
We just tinted our xc and are very happy with the results never having tinted a car's windows before. We used the roll up sunshades which are a very nice compromise, though they are pricey. There are lots of threads on the subject. We got a uniform tint of 45% on all five windows (not the windshield). 35% is generally the darkest and 50% is generally the lightest. We can see out at night well. You can see inside/through 45 if you are close. The only downside is that tinting makes police more uneasy when approaching your vehicle for a traffic stop, so by all means get the windows down as they approach. You also can't use windex and most window cleaners on tinted windows and kids and dogs may scratch upthe coating. i have found no difference in terms of visibility/safety. There's certainly an argument to be made that tinting reduces eye strain and fatigue and thus might increase safety in some circumstances. I have pics but the file size is too large for upload. I'll try and resize and load em.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5756&page=1&pp=10&highlight=tint

Art
05-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Welcome Ksmif! :)

Like LWW, we also had tint installed on all five rears of our rig and find it to be quite adequate for our needs. For a visual aid, the degree of VLT in the photo as it appears in full sunlight is 38%. The Llumar tint that was used is also warrantied for as long as we own the car.

Be sure to check your local state laws relating to max allowable tint values.

http://volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/albums/userpics/337632535kgTrCi_ph.jpg

Bluegrass-XC
05-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Welcome ksmif.

Try a search - there have been several discussions on this subject. I'm one of the "tint the heck out of it" advocates here since I think it has enhanced the look of my car. :D I'm also in the sunshine state of Florida so it's a necessity here. I say "Go For It".

nwxc70
05-03-2005, 03:38 PM
I am concerned about tinting my windows because of the heat elements on the rear window for defogging and the radio antenna on the left rear cargo area window. If they need to remove/replace the tint due to bubbling over time, won't they damage these components? The last time I dealt with after-market tinting was in the late 80's so maybe I'm not up to speed with the new stuff. Any concerns?

As always, thanks for all of your insights!

ksmif
05-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the info everyone...
I do need to figure out how to do a search on this site. I'm sure it's right in front of me, but I'm not seeing it yet :confused:
Thanks again!
ksmif

v70+xc70
05-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info everyone...
I do need to figure out how to do a search on this site. I'm sure it's right in front of me, but I'm not seeing it yet :confused:
Thanks again!
ksmif

wonder if this will work...Look also for search in the dark blue tinted section above the thread

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/search.php?

XC70Geo
05-03-2005, 11:18 PM
What about this: http://acctest.semcon.se/en-GB/P2X/comfort/blind/VCC-227780.htm

DonWillson
07-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi there,
Ksmif
Being from the south until about 5 years ago I have had some type of tint/shade on all my wagons. I even made screens with that old 'aluminum shade screen' and some freeby 50% transmission aluminum film.
On my last 3 wagons I used a tint shop recommended by the dealer and insisted on them using 3M brand film. I have never had any bubbling or the tint turning purple. There is a darker tint on the back sides and rear and a lighter for the front sides. Here is a web site that gives some background information. http://www.tintcenter.com/
Don Willson

Sasquatch
07-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Someone mentioned the antenna and heating elements.

Anything to worry about? I was thinking about a light tint for the rear sides just to keep prying eyes out.

Does the darker color make the car hotter than without the tint?