PDA

View Full Version : 3rd row seat

canadian*guy
05-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Does any body have the 3rd row seat equiped in there xc70s? If so how big of children would u say it can seat????

podunko
05-02-2005, 07:24 PM
2 kids, not more than 75-80 lbs.

XC70Geo
05-03-2005, 12:35 AM
There were some posts about it's not a great option.

littlewaywelt
05-03-2005, 04:13 AM
There were some posts about it's not a great option.
I haven't seen them. Everyone I know that has this says its awesome. Is it as comfortable as a minivan, of course not. It does however dramatically increase the utility of the car. The only downsides: you can't have the subwoofer, you can't use the steel cargo barrier, you loose the grocery tray. This was a must order for us and we've probably already used it a 1/2 dozen times to squeeze an adult back there.

kat
05-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Its true you cannot use the steel guard with the 3 rd row seats, however by taking down the seats belts from the roof anchor points ( a 10min max job) allows the steel guard to be put back in.

I have done this procedure countless times with no problems at all.

kat
05-17-2005, 02:09 PM
This assumes you have the 3rd row seat belts in place and wish to remove them and install the steel guard.

First remove the plastic cover in the roof area of the cargo bay on each side, you will need a torx type bit size 20 I think.

http://www.trills.plus.com/volvo/DSCF2015.JPG

Pull the plastic from the other end to the torx a little bit of a tug and it will just fall out and then this is what you will see...

http://www.trills.plus.com/volvo/DSCF2016.JPG

http://www.trills.plus.com/volvo/DSCF2017.JPG

Now in the picture above you need a 14 or 15mm to undo the nut. Be very careful not to drop it as it comes out as it always rolls off somewhere diffilcut to find! After it is out the belt will still remain up as there is a small catch you just need to move up and sideways for the belts to drop to the floor. Thats it done, you are now ready to put in the steel guard.

The trick here is to ensure the seats are folded forward (see last picture) otherwise you will not get the guard in.

When putting in the guard put one end and then push sideways towards the end that is already in, so in the picture below my left hand is pushing to the right to push away from the socket so you can position it then once lined up release the pressure so that it goes into the socket.

http://www.trills.plus.com/volvo/DSCF2018.JPG

Picture below shows guard install afterwards and with seats forward and how you need to start when removing it and to get the seat belts in place again which is just the reverse of the above.

http://www.trills.plus.com/volvo/DSCF2020.JPG

Hopefully thats clear enough if not drop me a line.

SYS
05-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks, kat!!! You've made my weekend job a whole lot easier. I -- and I'm sure many others, as well -- really appreciate your willingness to go through all the trouble for our convenience. :)

littlewaywelt
05-18-2005, 04:41 PM
How much torque is neccessary to assure a good reattachment?

kat
05-19-2005, 12:04 AM
Not sure what bit we are talking about reattaching but none of it is that hard. The bit where I have found you need a good shove is putting back in the steel guard and "pushing" it in so that it goes into the roof socket, if you put your body weight behind it and know what you are doing its not that difficult.

littlewaywelt
05-19-2005, 07:24 AM
Not sure what bit we are talking about reattaching but none of it is that hard. The bit where I have found you need a good shove is putting back in the steel guard and "pushing" it in so that it goes into the roof socket, if you put your body weight behind it and know what you are doing its not that difficult.
I'm talking about the seatbelt reattachment. I'm sure that has a minimum torque requirement.

GoMocs
05-19-2005, 10:31 AM
I am looking for a 3rd row. I found one and all the parts used but the color is dark taupe and I have the sand int. Does the install require I change any trim pieces? How hard are these to install?

littlewaywelt
05-19-2005, 10:42 AM
I am looking for a 3rd row. I found one and all the parts used but the color is dark taupe and I have the sand int. Does the install require I change any trim pieces? How hard are these to install?
Yes some of the trim peices are different. The plastic where the belt goes into along the roof will have to get changed out. The carpeted section which becomes the floor of the cargo area will be a different color as well.
The sand and the taupe are not close colors imo. I have a sand cargo cover in our taupe xc. It's noticible.

GoMocs
05-19-2005, 10:53 AM
I thought that was the case. I think I will keep looking for the sand. If anyone knows of one I would be interested. Thanks Again.

kat
05-19-2005, 11:22 AM
I'm talking about the seatbelt reattachment. I'm sure that has a minimum torque requirement.

OK, I haven't got a torque thingy and neither found any official customer instructions for doing what I am doing other than advised by the dealer its down to the customer to do if they wish.

Only point I had at the last service when it went in without the seat belts attached is that when it comes to its 3 year MOT (UK road worthiness test) test it will fail if they are not attached, so I will make sure they are attached when it goes in for a test!

If anyone knows or can find out would be interested to know what the torque setting should.

SYS
05-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Okay, I just installed the steel cargo grill after uninstalling the third row seat belts. Very easy job without encountering a single problem.

The only nervous part of uninstalling the seat belts was the sign on the plastic cover that states "IC Airbag." I didn't see that on Kat's photos, so I did have a moment of hesitation lest the airbag blows up on my face. :D

Like Kat stated, going back and forth between the seat belts and the grill shouldn't take long. If you do it at leisurely pace, perhaps 20 minutes max.

I also installed the seat divider that fills in the "hollow" place between "40" and "40" seats in the rear directly above the thermal cooler. Prior to placing an order for this item, I wasn't too sure about its utility and its quality, but because I couldn't stand the hollowness between the rear seats, I decided to try it out. First, the color matched up very nicely with my taupe interior. Second, the quality in terms of material is excellent and should last me as long as my car's willing to be loyal to me. It has nice zipper pockets and a net compartment for storing whatever. Since my kids are going to be sitting back there, they'll be using it for storing things like gameboy cartridges, cards, crayons and whatnot. Didn't even need an awl to do the installation. I just poked around with my fingers to find the four spots and used a fat sharp nail to make just enough a hole to do the job.

With the steel grill up I now feel very safe about placing anything in the back except small things that can still fly through the grill's generous openings.

kat
10-31-2005, 02:22 PM
http://www.trills.plus.com/volvo/DSCF2017.JPG

In the picture above you will notice the Orange cable, this is to the curtain airbag. In a slight rush with sun in my eyes and not having to hand my socket extension I tightened up the nut over the Orange cable and split into two sections, in other words buested it.

This was on the way back from France so had to drive 500 miles with no airbag protection for the whole car with kids in the car. If that wasn't bad enough on return to the UK and a trip to local Volvo dealer they advised the whole airbag assembly has to replaced not just the cable.

The cost, well the cable / air bag is £250 plus labour for testing installing another £200 OUCH, so £550! Not going to do that again in a hurry.

So lesson is be very careful of the cable snagging on the nut....

SYS
10-31-2005, 04:29 PM
O - U - C - H !!!! :eek:

For such reason I decided against going back and forth between the 3rd row seats and the grill....

Since I uninstalled the 3rd row seatbelts and replaced it with the grill, I've never reversed it although it only takes about 20 minutes max for the job. I'll wait until Littlewaywelt comes up with a better solution that he's been working on... ;)

littlewaywelt
08-16-2006, 05:52 AM
Art or Taylor could you make this thread a pdf for the resources section?

Art
08-16-2006, 08:43 AM
LWW,

I'll forward the pdf instructions to Taylor. Thanks for bringing it up. :)

...and thank you kat! [thumbup]

littlewaywelt
08-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Does anyone have the torque values for how tight the bolt needs to be when re-attaching the seatbelts in the 3rd row? ...or is "really tight" sufficient?

coastal
08-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Art sent me the PDF and I've added it to the How-To Section (http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/)

A greate addition to the resources, thanks!

Taylor.

Art
08-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks for adding those files Taylor. :)

Does anyone have the torque values for how tight the bolt needs to be when re-attaching the seatbelts in the 3rd row? ...or is "really tight" sufficient?

No mention of torque values for the aux seats from my source, but for the other seat mounts bolts, 48 Nm (35.4 lb.ft.) appears to be the prescribed standard.

littlewaywelt
08-18-2006, 12:36 PM
outstanding.
many thanks.

SpanishXC70
08-19-2006, 04:24 AM
I have ordered the third row of seats on my new XC70 and it does increase the practicity of the car with kids dramaticaly. On a couple of occasions it made the difference between driving with two cars or beeing all together.

I was also disappointed when the car was delivered to see that I had no luggage partition between the cargo and passenger compartments so Volvo installed a very strong-looking nylon net that folds behind the back seat (and children seat) when not in use. It does the same job as the steel grid and it takes 10 seconds to deploy whithout any DIY involved (I guess that is what is mounted on the V70).

Now, as I do like the looks of the grid I finaly got the head mechanic at Volvo's to tell me that, yes, it was possible to install it with the safety belts in place but it took some bending and adjusting on the upper supports. He did not have time do do it before the holidays but will take care of it in september.

I shall keep you posted when we do it.

Gilles

littlewaywelt
08-19-2006, 05:24 PM
I have ordered the third row of seats on my new XC70 and it does increase the practicity of the car with kids dramaticaly. On a couple of occasions it made the difference between driving with two cars or beeing all together.

I was also disappointed when the car was delivered to see that I had no luggage partition between the cargo and passenger compartments so Volvo installed a very strong-looking nylon net that folds behind the back seat (and children seat) when not in use. It does the same job as the steel grid and it takes 10 seconds to deploy whithout any DIY involved (I guess that is what is mounted on the V70).

Now, as I do like the looks of the grid I finaly got the head mechanic at Volvo's to tell me that, yes, it was possible to install it with the safety belts in place but it took some bending and adjusting on the upper supports. He did not have time do do it before the holidays but will take care of it in september.

Gilles
The steel barrier offers a little more functionality than the nylon net. The steel barrier is stronger, easier to see through, and adds the ability to use the steel cargo area divider. We've been using the nylon retractable net and can keep that up and use the third row seatbelts at the same time without modification. I never bothered to check if it was possible with the add-in nylon net, but I imagine it would be. You can't do this with the steel barrier. I asked about getting a hanger fabricated that would move the belts a little more to the side to get the steel barrier in there at the same time, but the guy said it might interfere with the air curtain deployment, so I dropped the idea.

Beau
08-30-2006, 06:23 PM

Gilles
I've ordered the Auxilary 3rd row seats which I plan to install w/ my steel barrier in place. It will be great hlep if you could provide some details on your installation.

littlewaywelt
08-31-2006, 11:28 AM
I've ordered the Auxilary 3rd row seats which I plan to install w/ my steel barrier in place. It will be great hlep if you could provide some details on your installation.
If he's done this he's the first person to do so. I really tried to get it in and couldn't do it.

There are two other problems with this
1) the steel barrier has to be up since the rear seats need to go all the way back to lock in place.
...which leads to problem 2
2) there is very little headroom back there to begin with. if you put the steel barrier up it would be a really tight fit for bigger kids and also there's the danger that it could smack down with great force on the kids' faces in an accident.

Assuming you were to get it in in the up position, the seatbelt hangers will make it tough if not impossible to fold the barrier down. If you got it in the down position you can't get the 3rd row seat back to go back because the steel barrier goes down too far.

If you need a barrier the nylon net that pulls out the seat backs will work without interferring with the 3rd row. I'm not sure about the removeable nylon barrier.

SpanishXC70
09-20-2006, 05:18 AM
...Or rather they did it for me: steel grid and 3rd row of seats. It does not interfere too badly with the safety belts but I agree that the headroom is reduced. For kids weighing less than 35kg it should be OK though.

I shall post pics as soon as I can.

Gilles

littlewaywelt
09-20-2006, 05:47 AM
...Or rather they did it for me: steel grid and 3rd row of seats. It does not interfere too badly with the safety belts but I agree that the headroom is reduced. For kids weighing less than 35kg it should be OK though.

I shall post pics as soon as I can.

Gilles

And the seat back goes all the way back? Aren't you worried about that thing smacking down and hitting them in the face if you get in accident? It seems like it would do a lot of dammage.

Did they have to fabricate a new anchor?

kat
09-20-2006, 02:02 PM
And the seat back goes all the way back? Aren't you worried about that thing smacking down and hitting them in the face if you get in accident? It seems like it would do a lot of dammage.

Did they have to fabricate a new anchor?

Have to say I am with littlewaywelt on this as whilst the 3rd seat does have its limitions it does save often using 2 cars but I would not want to have the seats belts and grate up at the same time even with a "bit of bending of the supports"

Most of the time we leave the rear belts on and only we are doing big trip put in the grate doesn't take long to do.

littlewaywelt
09-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Have to say I am with littlewaywelt on this as whilst the 3rd seat does have its limitions it does save often using 2 cars but I would not want to have the seats belts and grate up at the same time even with a "bit of bending of the supports"

Most of the time we leave the rear belts on and only we are doing big trip put in the grate doesn't take long to do.

...and there's one more issue with regard to bending the seatbelt hangers out towards the windows. It might interfere with side curtain deployment. :eek: