PDA

View Full Version : Door Opened While Driving!

tooberand
04-19-2005, 11:47 AM
I got in my car this morning, thought I had closed the door properly, and took off down the street. The auto-locks engaged properly at 5mph. I drove through a couple of traffic lights and was about a mile down the road when there was a clunk to the left of me and then the message area started dinging "Driver Side Door Open". The clunk I heard was the door opening back to the first catch.

Is it possible that I just didn't close the door enough and it was just a matter of time before it popped back open to the first catch?

I've already had my driver's side door adjusted once and had the entire handle mechanism replaced as well back in October because the door wasn't closing properly. I haven't called my dealer yet since this could be a fluke and I wanted to run it past the "experts" first.

Useful comments and thoughts are welcome.

Thanks.

AWD*V70XC
04-19-2005, 12:43 PM
I would have said that you may have trapped some of the seat belt in the door when you were closing it and as you drove, the belt tightened and door was loose anyway and it just activated the sensor, but as you say you have a history on that door I think it might be something to do with 'that' instead.

What would I do? I would mention it to your dealer tomorrow, tell him you are a little concerned but as you don't know who is to blame you will carry on for the next occurrence but you are aware to could happen again, but would they make a note of the problem on your records just in case it was the door at fault and not something you did.

barrysharp
04-19-2005, 06:54 PM
It's possible for central locking system to lock all doors even with one or more doors partially closed. If done using the remote when securing the car when leaving it the 4-way emergency flashing indicator will not occur and indicates security alarm isn't active.

My guess is that your driver's door wasn't properly/completely locked as AWD says.