PDA

View Full Version : "Metal" grab handle nicks easily

Psychwarlord
04-05-2005, 02:53 AM
My wife's XC70's grab handle (center console) is showing some nicks. She just puts plastic bottles in the cupholders and drops her purse in the passenger seat.

Rings? On her left hand. It seems the grab handle is easily scratched and nicked.

Cross Current
04-05-2005, 05:31 AM
Didn't Volvo change to a brushed aluminum grab handle for 2005 as the plastic units were prone to scratches.

Kim
04-05-2005, 05:44 AM
Yes, I have this problem as well. Does anyone know if there is a particular auto paint that would match for touch-ups? Also, the paint on the inside of the interior door handle has worn off significantly on the driver side--this color appears to be a bit darker (gray?) than the center handle. I'm looking for a match for that too.
Best Regards,
Kim

littlewaywelt
04-05-2005, 06:10 AM
My wife's XC70's grab handle (center console) is showing some nicks. She just puts plastic bottles in the cupholders and drops her purse in the passenger seat.

Rings? On her left hand. It seems the grab handle is easily scratched and nicked.
Be careful what you wish for...the grab handle is now aluminum, which in the winter means it is absolutely freezing for a really long time.

Shoe
04-05-2005, 06:32 AM
and now is a bit sticky and scratches easily. I don't know what is worse, leaving it nicked up or painting over it. I would like to know if the 05 aluminum handle can be retrofitted to an 01, and if so how hard (and expensive) it would be. Anyone have an idea?

littlewaywelt
04-05-2005, 06:40 AM
and now is a bit sticky and scratches easily. I don't know what is worse, leaving it nicked up or painting over it. I would like to know if the 05 aluminum handle can be retrofitted to an 01, and if so how hard (and expensive) it would be. Anyone have an idea?
I don't see how it could be retro fitted and I believe I saw a thread at Swedespeed where someone asked the dealer and the answer was no. The shape and other parts of the center console are different.

Psychwarlord
04-06-2005, 02:28 AM
Oh well - the 2005 gets an aluminum grab handle and plastic headlight covers and the 2004 (and previous) get glass headlight covers and headlight wipers. I'll take the glass and wipers.

littlewaywelt
04-06-2005, 06:32 AM
Oh well - the 2005 gets an aluminum grab handle and plastic headlight covers and the 2004 (and previous) get glass headlight covers and headlight wipers. I'll take the glass and wipers.
There are actually a lot more changes than that, including some pretty useful ones. ...I'd still prefer the glass headlamps & wipers, though.