PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Radio

mastiha
04-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted but I still love my V70XC 2001.

I just wanted to know how easy it was, or if it were at all possible, to replace my current head unit (HU-803)?

Don't get me wrong, the current radio is great but head units have come a long way since 2001 and, although I don't want to upgrade the car, I would like to see what options I have. I was thinking of something with an LCD screen and could play DVD's, MP3's, etc.

Any ideas or is it a lost cause? Anyone know if the radio has standard connectors at the back and whether other radios can integrate as well i.e. with the volume buttons on the wheel and with the integrated phone?

Thanks in advance.

Willy
04-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Hi,
Volvo has a panel that has a double DIN cutout. You can fit one radio but you could also fit a unit with large LCD screen (double DIN height). A tray is provided to fill the second cutout if only one is to be use. The panel is available in the same color as the centre console. However, there is no provision for a mobile telephone or for a cup holder on the left side of the radio. Most units have standard (ISO) connectors, Volvo has a patch cord to reroute the signals (including 12VDC for the antenna amplifier). Note that when fitting your own radio, you lose the coupling of the volume with the speed of the car, lighting of the unit is also no longer connected to the level of lighting of the dashboard (these things are possible if you install a AEM module that translates digital data of a number of properties into DC voltages to be used by equipment of third parties).
If tyou like to know how it looks, I think I posted pictures at the time.
Greetings,
Willy

Art
04-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Hey Mastiha, welcome back!! :) Happy to hear that you’re still in the XC! :D

Often wondered if we would ever hear word back from either you or Adam (aka Saabstory).

As far as aftermarket audio upgrades are concerned, I think anything is possible when one is looking at a HU retrofit. You may have already checked out this system (http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Features/article_147.html)

Personally, I’m quite satisfied with the performance that I get from my 803 and will likely just leave it stock.

If you have an Ipod, like so many other member here do, then perhaps Volvo’s direct integration of these devices might be to your liking.

mastiha
04-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

mastiha
04-04-2005, 08:08 PM
I've come accross a stumbling block which I've posted in a new thread (i.e. is the integrated phone part of the head unit).

Apart from that it looks like it can be done although I would lose the volume controls on the steering wheel.

I was hoping to replace it with either an Alpine or a Kenwwod unit and get a roof mounted screen for the kids in the back.