PDA

View Full Version : Trailer lighting

Ocean1
04-01-2005, 03:41 PM
I have just taken delivery of a new V70AWD to replace the '02 ORE and i have to go about adding a trailer hitch. I am assuming that the V70 is about the same as the current XC so i hope you will all forgive me if i ask a V70 question.

The hitch itself is easy. There are units available from Hidden and Draw-Tite. The real question surrounds the lighting.

I spoke to the dealer today about the lights. They told me i need the harness, a control module, and a software download to add the trailer lights. Cost was about $350 CDN PLUS labour. (Now i understand how the hitch costs almost $800-900 at the dealer).

Draw-Tite and others sell a lighting control module which takes power from the battery, and i assume signal level currents from the existing lights to power the trailer lights. They claim this puts virtually no load on the vehicle lighting circuit.

Has anyone any experience with adding the aftermarket harnesses to the new XC's and/or V70's? This seems extraordinarily expensive for lighting. Why is a software change needed for the factory trailer lighting?

Thanks to all in advance.

PA70RR
04-01-2005, 04:08 PM
If you are talking about a 2005 model, Volvo has an entirely new network system in these cars. On my 03, all I had to do was plug the harness in and it worked. Now, you really do have to buy the harness, a module and have a software download. The harness and the module plug in behind the left rear wheel inside the panel. The stock Volvo hitch is better ( 2" receiver, hidden up under bumper), but requires the removal of bumper for easier installation. Hidden Hitch would be my second choice, but the aftermarket hitches only have 1 1/4" receivers. If you can swing the extra $, the oem hitch is a much cleaner looking product. Plus, some bike rack companies require 2" receiver.

Don't even think about using an aftermarket harness on an 05!!

Hope this helps out. :)

Ocean1
04-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Got a current price from the dealer today. $995 + taxes!!!!!
That about $1150 once all done.
Thats a terrible hit on a leased vehicle. Think i am gonna have to invent a better option.
:mad:

geo
04-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi,
My 2004 XC70 (UK spec)is equiped with a trailer towing multi way (14) plug in the rear of the spare wheel well. It is a white plug.
The dealer fit trailer wiring harmess and sockets are plugged into this when they are installed in the vehicle. noe relays or other gubbing required. I thought the trailer wiring pre-pack was standard. True the vehicle has multiplex wiring and hard wiring is not on, but check the thing aint pre-wired before giving and bloodsucking dealer your cash.

AWD*V70XC
04-07-2005, 01:22 PM
I had an aftermarket hitch installed on my '01. They put a piece of angle iron on the chassis, just behind the bumper and spliced the wires into the row of wires that crosses the back of the car, around the wheel well area. No downloads required and total cost, including bumper protection plate about 250 pounds, afterwards found out the oem version was about he same if not cheaper and I could have had a hidden one for about the same price.

If it is a lease car I would go for a 'stick-on' hitch rather than a hidden one, that way you can remove it when the car goes back, no holes in the bumber to hide and you can use the hitch again or sell it, the next owner will be none of the wiser, and you can recover a few bucks.