PDA

View Full Version : 2001 XC 70 for $17,900?

babalu87
03-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Live in Massachusetts and we really have our minds set on a Volvo and need the ground clearence the XC provides.

The vehicle is pretty much loaded and has 52,000 miles on it.

Carfax showed 0 issues but I do have a few questions.

The seller (not Volvo, vehicle was bought at auction from a rental fleet in Montvale NJ that was leased) is willing to let me drop the oil pan under my mechanics supervision at their garage.

I brought the car to a Volvo dealership and was told this model vehicle is having issues with sludge ( they pulled the oil fill cap and looked inside, pretty tough to see but it looked SLIGHTLY tarnished but 0 buildup to my eye)
Wouldn't a leased vehicle have to have regular service? If so the sludge issue would be BS to me but the car has a NEW dipstick in it.
Volvos service manager said he does see broken dipsticks on this model.

Also the top motor mount on the drivers side is broken (rubber slides back and forth).

Other than this the vehicle is in stellar condition and has recent rubber and brakes.

I hate to buy a vehicle with no net (3 month warranty) and I could buy an extended warranty for it.

The "salesman" told me that they (dealership) will not work on a Volvo that is not Volvo certified or bought at that dealer, he said IF you can find another Volvo dealer or I would have to go private?
That didn't sound right to me.
Thanks for your opinions/educated responses, it is appreciated.

nwxc70
03-29-2005, 08:19 PM
The upper motor mount has been upgraded, but its not a recall. I just had mine replaced with the new (beefier?) version under warranty which will soon expire.

I purchased mine from broker who found it on a friend's (dealer) lot, but I don't know of any reason they would not work on your car if you were paying them. On my first visit to a dealer I got myself into their system and that was that.

Shoe
03-29-2005, 10:19 PM
I drove a 2001 with almost identical specs at the local Volvo dealer. It had 47,000 miles on it and they wanted in the neighborhood of $23,500 for it. It was certified pre-owned so that extended warranty was worth about $2100. I just bought one on ebay with 39,700 miles on it for $19,500. It had gone through the certified pre-owned inspection then was sold to an independent dealer, then sold to me. So I don't get the warranty. But I can buy one as long as I am under 50,000 miles on the car.

The sludge comment has never come up in my research. I absolutely love my Cross Country. I like it much better than a 2000 Suburu Outback I got rid of a few years ago. A new Outback runs around $30,000 when equiped similar to my 4 year old XC. Since a new XC was out of our price range, I think we went the right direction finding a well maintained used XC.

funglenn
04-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Live in Massachusetts and we really have our minds set on a Volvo and need the ground clearence the XC provides.

The vehicle is pretty much loaded and has 52,000 miles on it.

Carfax showed 0 issues but I do have a few questions.

The seller (not Volvo, vehicle was bought at auction from a rental fleet in Montvale NJ that was leased) is willing to let me drop the oil pan under my mechanics supervision at their garage.

I brought the car to a Volvo dealership and was told this model vehicle is having issues with sludge ( they pulled the oil fill cap and looked inside, pretty tough to see but it looked SLIGHTLY tarnished but 0 buildup to my eye)
Wouldn't a leased vehicle have to have regular service? If so the sludge issue would be BS to me but the car has a NEW dipstick in it.
Volvos service manager said he does see broken dipsticks on this model.

Also the top motor mount on the drivers side is broken (rubber slides back and forth).

Other than this the vehicle is in stellar condition and has recent rubber and brakes.

I hate to buy a vehicle with no net (3 month warranty) and I could buy an extended warranty for it.

The "salesman" told me that they (dealership) will not work on a Volvo that is not Volvo certified or bought at that dealer, he said IF you can find another Volvo dealer or I would have to go private?
That didn't sound right to me.
Thanks for your opinions/educated responses, it is appreciated.

You should get the "salesman" to put his not working on a Volvo comment in writing, then sent that to Volvo of North America and the owner of that dealership. I have never heard such BS. As someone who is military, I have never ever had any problem getting any type of car serviced at any dealership. They will all happily take your money to fix problems.

DO you mean that specific car had sludge or 01 XCs have sludge problems. I know people who have leases who just do not do maintenace or take car of cars. I got my used XC with all service records, that is really the only proof unless the history is in the computer system.

My two cents

babalu87
04-01-2005, 06:08 PM
The salesman at the Volvo dealership (Dazelle in Dedham , MA) said that they were starting to see sludge in the 2001 XC's.

I think he was LYING (imagine that)
Nobody I have talked to since has heard of a sludging issue with these cars.
I will go back and berate him infront of the rest of the sales force AND his boss.

The dealer that had the car I was looking at didnt even balk when I asked him if we could bring the car to a garage and drop the oil pan and have my friend (who owns a garage and his mechanic used to work on Volvos) and his worker bee look at the car.

All went well and I picked up the car today with:

ONE KEY :rolleyes:
ONE FOB :rolleyes:
NO owners manual :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What do they do with this stuff eat it?
Looking for an original manual as I can figure out the seats and some of the other stuff (RADIO!)

He said he would look for it but a salesman told us they are "normally in the car if we have them" :mad:

Art
04-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Looking for an original manual as I can figure out the seats and some of the other stuff (RADIO!)

He said he would look for it but a salesman told us they are "normally in the car if we have them" :mad:

I’ve seen manuals come up for sale on ebay now and again. You can also order one from Volvotechinfo (https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=literature.main&class=OWNER)

In the meantime, there’s always the online version (http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/2001/2001_XC/01xc_00.htm) Just be sure to book mark this link as the search function on VCNA’s site is not always that reliable.

babalu87
04-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks Art.
I found the online version about 30 minutes ago :o
Should have known Volvo would have it online.
Now I can preset everything.

Gundo
04-02-2005, 07:21 AM
These cars are complex beasts and any number of things can go wrong.

Use the sludge comment to negotiate some more $$ of the price, buy your warranty and be on your way.

Given the expensive problems these cars seem to have, I wouldn't own one out of warranty.

My 2 cents

babalu87
04-02-2005, 08:23 AM
They dropped the oil pan for me and sludge was a non issue.
They were letting me walk over 150.00 and I didn't want to risk walking from a car that I had alrerady seen the inside of the engine on.
I dont know how many other dealers would allow that :confused:

$2000+ is alot for a warranty that only covers a drivetrain and nothing else for another 48,000 miles.
We're all pretty much on our own after 100,000 anyway.

Anyone have an aftermarket warranty they would recommend?

Car is covered for the next two months so I have that long to decide.
Thanks

Gundo
04-02-2005, 06:08 PM
I like Warranty Direct. Lots of Porsche guys use 'em to. they don't seem to be at immediate risk of bankruptcy and I've heard good things about service and price

Dr Fonta
04-02-2005, 06:46 PM

What a crock! People like that give Volvo dealerships a bad name. I would call VCNA and the dealership's owner. That really burns my ***. Obviously he was trying to get you to buy there, but c'mon. Ridiculous. I took my 01 to dealer that I didn't buy from and they GLADLY took it in for service. In fact, the service manager told me that "if it's a Volvo, we have to work on it".

BTW my 01 was also a leased vehicle, and aside from tie-rods and a couple of other minor problems, things are good to go.

babalu87
04-02-2005, 07:05 PM
What a crock! People like that give Volvo dealerships a bad name. I would call VCNA and the dealership's owner. That really burns my ***. Obviously he was trying to get you to buy there, but c'mon. Ridiculous. I took my 01 to dealer that I didn't buy from and they GLADLY took it in for service. In fact, the service manager told me that "if it's a Volvo, we have to work on it".

BTW my 01 was also a leased vehicle, and aside from tie-rods and a couple of other minor problems, things are good to go.

No worries I will go back to that dealer and RIP that clown in front of the whole sales force (maybe a Saturday afternoon on a sunny day ;) )

I am still amazed he would say that :confused:

My mechanics first words "Thats F*ckin bullsh!t" when I asked him about that.
He gave the car a clean bill of health.
Too bad everyone seems to eat remotes and keys :rolleyes: