PDA

View Full Version : XC70 owners most satisfied

Big
03-28-2005, 12:45 PM
We often take issue with Consumer Reports reliability ratings, especially for new cars. In the most recent reliability survey, Volvo models did not make either the 2005 Most Reliable or Least Reliable lists. Overall Volvo ranked 22nd out of 36 brands, a little below the median but the top European brand.

The Owner Satisfaction rating is harder to argue with. Satisfaction simply shows if owners said they would buy or lease that model again. Here are rankings for models that owners would "definitely buy or lease again." The XC70 did quite well whereas the XC90 was just average. Volvo sedans were below average.

Wagons & Hatchbacks (11 models)
Scion xB - 1st
XC70 - 4th
V70 - 9th

Midsized SUVs (29 models)
Lexus RX330 - 1st
XC90 - 15th

Upscale Cars (14 models)
Acura TL - 1st
S80 - 11th
S60 - 13th

gibbons
03-28-2005, 02:01 PM
I am cynical, but I think that the ranking systems are useless. Like Hyundai moving up the lists in satisfaction on Powers. Think about it. I would guess that a lot of Hyundai buyers are moving up from a marginal used car, so anything is going to seem fabulous. Whereas, in the higher line cars, the buyers are expecting a lot. And some of these high line brands are purely for impress-the-neighbors factor, so the buyers feel like they have to rank them high or they are deceiving themselves.

But an XC? I think it would get a pretty straight forward owner's evaluation. I mean, we didn't get ours to impress our SUV driving neighborhood. I am sure they think we are weirdos for getting a station wagon. We bought it for what it is and what it does. And what it is and what it does is really great.

My logic here is as nonsensical as the ratings themselves:p All I care about is that we like ours.

Big
03-28-2005, 02:54 PM
I would guess that a lot of Hyundai buyers are moving up from a marginal used car, so anything is going to seem fabulous. Whereas, in the higher line cars, the buyers are expecting a lot. And some of these high line brands are purely for impress-the-neighbors factor, so the buyers feel like they have to rank them high or they are deceiving themselves. We could second guess why people rate things the way they do. At least the vehicles in the CR survey are grouped in price or size categories which helps in comparing them.

CR notes: "True, it's a subjective measure; it appears, for example, that the typical sports-car owner was more passionate about his car than the typical minivan owner. But it's a measure gathered from people like yourself who own vehicles like yours or the ones you are considering; and the variations in scores suggest real differences in owner satisfaction. Scores ranged widely, from the more than 9 in 10 owners who would definitely buy their Toyota Prius or Lexus LS430 again to the 35% who would definitely buy their Dodge Stratus sedan again."

But an XC? I think it would get a pretty straight forward owner's evaluation. I mean, we didn't get ours to impress our SUV driving neighborhood. I am sure they think we are weirdos for getting a station wagon. We bought it for what it is and what it does. And what it is and what it does is really great.

My logic here is as nonsensical as the ratings themselves:p All I care about is that we like ours. That's all that matters. :) None of the Volvos made the most satisfying or least satisfying list (2002-2004 model years). The people who buy Volvos tend to like them, just not as strongly as some other brands.

Bluegrass-XC
03-28-2005, 08:52 PM
I was a GM person (Buick & Chevy) from 1970 until 1992 when I leased my first T-Bird. I had three of them including the 5.3L V-8. I bought my first Volvo 14 months ago (Jan. 2004). All of my friends looked at me and questioned my sanity with comments like "Can you believe he bought a Volvo ??" and "A station wagon??" After they rode in it, they ALL changed their minds. My wife looks for excuses to take my car when she could easily use her Subaru Legacy. I have never used Consumer Reports ALONE to gauge the purchase of a car. One must do their homework and make the most informed decision they can based on the information that's gathered. I personally would not base a car purchase decision on just one article in a magazine that tends to be a little biased towards their advertisers.

John@CdnRockies
03-28-2005, 08:54 PM
I'm actually a fan of Consumer Reports. While each vehicle will have its own proponents, I have a lot of faith in the reasonably objective opinions that CR offers

As Volvo owners/fanactics, we probably don't like the results - but in terms of reliability, safety and owner satisfaction many of their vehicles are no longer at the top. Instead of bias creeping into CR's ratings, I think that Volvo is probably slipping when compared to the world market.

I like the XC70, but recognize that there are lots of other cars which catch my eye/heart as well. Btw, I'm not surprised the XC-90 and S60/80 fare so poorly in their segment as the competition is really outstanding. The Lexus and Acura have proven outstanding vehicles whenver I've driven them.

John

Big
03-29-2005, 11:26 AM
I have never used Consumer Reports ALONE to gauge the purchase of a car. One must do their homework and make the most informed decision they can based on the information that's gathered. I personally would not base a car purchase decision on just one article in a magazine that tends to be a little biased towards their advertisers. Good advice except that CR doesn't accept advertising.

Below: CR testing a 1958 Ford Edsel with auto-tranny buttons
in the center of the steering wheel. I learned to drive in an Edsel
and many years later I have another Ford product!

http://idisk.mac.com/main_street/Public/Edsel-1958-shifter.jpg

Vwvolvo
03-29-2005, 06:38 PM
I was (still ) a VW fan even with a lemon ( 1995 Jetta diesel) amongst my 7 VWs. Now I also own a 2003 Jetta TDI and love it. The car was very critised for it's poor quality when production started in Mexico. But when your in love it don't matter. Now I have my first Volvo and I at age 42, I love the car like a teanager with his first car and even worse. We also have here in Quebec Canada a magasine for car comparison. Japanese cars always hit the first prizes but I had a Honda that needed a new transmission at 5000 miles because of a seazed synchro mesh in the tranny. My neighbours new Honda Odyssey had to be towed because some bolts were missing and the tranny fell off. I repeat myself, the tranny fell off. With all do respect, all manufacturers have their little hidden ''problems'' but it all depends ON THE PUBLICITY and $$$$$$$ ( my opinion ) made by the people. Just a comment, with all do respect to Toyota wich makes good cars, one of the magasine's key people had Toyotas. Guess what reputation Toyota got !
If you love your car, you'll understand that it isn't human but mechanical and that it can also fail. I love my VOLVO !

Luc
Montreal, Canada

Bluegrass-XC
03-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Good advice except that CR doesn't accept advertising.
... I knew that. http://www.v70xc.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif Brain fart on my part.