PDA

View Full Version : Bike rack question and number on top

gary
03-28-2005, 12:06 PM
My wife is bugging (maybe too strong a word) to get some bike racks for the XC. How many bikes can you fit on the roof? I have four bikes but I don't think I'll get all four up there - could I get three? Three would be ideal (two forward facing and one in the middle rear facing) as that would then allow me to put my son's bike (smallest of the four) in the cargo area, which would enable all of us to go on family bike outings. I don't have a tow bar so the rear mount bike rack is currently out of the question unless I invest in a hitch and I don't really think I will ever have a need of one since I don't do any towing. Also, any recommendations on which Volvo bike rack? I have the wing profile bars. Thanks.

tooberand
03-28-2005, 12:21 PM
I fit four on top of my last car and the crossbar length is less than what you have to work with. Just alternate front/rear/front/rear on the facing and you may have to do some rearranging to find which bikes will fit best together in the same direction. For instance, don't choose two bikes very similar in handlebar height to both point towards the front because odds are the bars are going to hit and you won't be able to fit them.

As far as what to get, most people here have had great experiences with both Yakima and Thule. I'm partial to Yakima because I've had some of the same equipment for eight years, it still performs great, and they're made in the US.

Hope this helps

gibbons
03-28-2005, 01:53 PM
I think Littlewaywelt put 8 on his car(?) We put 5 on our Subaru, alternating directions, and using really wide bars.

gary
03-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Tooberand, Gibbons,

Thanks much for the responses - I appreciate it. This is new ground for me so looking for any and all advice.