PDA

View Full Version : New XC owner seeking advice

Shoe
03-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Hi all,

Great reading here. I have learned tons. I bought a 2001 XC last weekend. I am thrilled to death with it to this point. This was a well researched ebay purchase. At the time of purchase, I had just a portion of the service records for this vehicle. I do know that it had gone through Volvo's certified pre-owned checklist and had been sold to an independent dealer after about 75 days on the Volvo lot. I bought it from that independent dealer. The wagon has 39,000 miles on it and looks and drives like a brand new car. I picked it up, and drove it 750 miles home last weekend. No problems what so ever. The only other info I have been able to find about the previous service record is that it was serviced at all it's required intervals including the 30,000 mile check up. I have located the Volvo dealer that serviced this car for the previous owner (Sesi Volvo in Ann Arbor, MI). They have only given me general information so far, but no info on warranty work. I don't know why they are not readily supplying this to me. They are checking on "privacy issues". Of all of the common repairs I have read about on this forum, the only one I know was done is a replacement of the front right stabilizer link (independent dealer provided this repair receipt).

I still have 6 mnths and 10,000 miles on the warranty, but am thinking about adding the Volvo VIP 7/100,000 warranty. I have been quoted $2,195 for this. I feel very torn on this issue. I feel like I got a great XC here. It is tight, smooth, powerful and quiet. I can easily handle repairs that run $1000 or less. Anything over that makes me pucker up a bit. I plan on owning this car for at least 4 years. Truthfully, I have read about all of the problems that seem to crop up for many of you, and given the warranty, what it covers, and the cost of the most common big ticket problems I am really torn on what to do. I am not usually this indecisive, but this time I could use some help. Anyone?

Thanks!

philosophicaldreamer
03-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Hi all,

I still have 6 mnths and 10,000 miles on the warranty, but am thinking about adding the Volvo VIP 7/100,000 warranty. I have been quoted $2,195 for this. I feel very torn on this issue.
Thanks!

Welcome to the board. I am certain that you will find this site more than helpful. This is great bunch of people who like you and I love their Volvos. I paid for the same warranty $1500. However, I did try two different dealers. The first dealer quoted me your price, and then the second dealer quoted $1500. Some people also advise looking at other warranty companies to purchase the policy. I am partial to Volvo, but this is me. Like you, I love my car too.

As always,
Ta-ta, janusz

XC70Geo
03-18-2005, 02:03 PM
What about asking Volvo North America about the situation, that you can't get service records?

Shoe
03-18-2005, 02:54 PM
And they said that it is up to the individual dealer to decide if they want to provide past service history to a new owner. I find it stange that they don't do this as a matter of practice. After all, I plan to have this serviced by the local dealer, and would like to be able to tell them about the car's past. Many if not most auto makers now have a centralized data base that can be accessed by any dealer.

Concerning a price difference in warranties, I am not sure I would see that competition here in KC since both dealers are owned by the same person. Perhaps if I presented them with a competitive 3rd party quote, they would adjust their price.

Thanks for the help.

Greg

AWD*V70XC
03-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Many if not most auto makers now have a centralized data base that can be accessed by any dealer.

Greg

You can be sure that Volvo ARE one of those companies, funny they are with holding this info? it could be one of two points, 1) there is some info they DON'T want you to see or 2) they might want to hide a previous owner's details due to a high profile owner? just a thought.

XC70Geo
03-19-2005, 05:03 AM
Sorry, but if the dealer wants to start with you like this, I would turn back.
If you will have some problems - I hope will not - , what will they do?
In my point of view Volvo is a tipical car, that has very unique strength - but needs you to take care of her, and give her a very good background: a good dealer.
The service report is part of your car, you need to know every details to make your decision. I would not trade with someone who starts this way.