PDA

View Full Version : ECM support

bwilson
03-15-2005, 10:17 PM
We all need to support what Don Willson is doing. Take a look.
Thanks
Brandon
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4875

barrysharp
03-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Hmmmm - thanks for the heads up. I posted my support.

bwilson
03-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Quick question. Does anyone know what volvo model's this concerns?

XC70Geo
03-16-2005, 11:46 PM
In the tech description they are talking about "Volvo Electronic
Throttle Module, made by Magner Marelli in Italy and used on 1999,
2000 and 2001".

bwilson
03-17-2005, 01:46 AM
I guess I will upgrade soon at about the 45k mark to an 03 or 04 :o

philosophicaldreamer
03-17-2005, 06:34 AM
We all need to support what Don Willson is doing. Take a look.
Thanks
Brandon

I have no problem with supporting Don's quest. He has done an incredible job investigating this issue. I do think that Volvo should step up to the plate, especially that the part is not only unreliable but also quite expensive. However, when we are talking about the support for Don's endeavor what are we talking about in particular? Should we start writing letters to Volvo about this issue? God I love this site :D I sometimes hang out on the Brickboard, which I have found very useful for my V90, but this site is definitely more engaging in terms of providing helpful information to those of us who love XC70s. Let me say thank you to all of you fellow travelers who make this site such a treat.

As always,
Ta-ta, janusz

babar
03-17-2005, 07:43 AM
FYI I just had my throttle body replaced on my 01 XCV70 station wagon after it went kuput on the highway for a tune of $1000 with labor. I have other problems with my car that noone can seem to diagnose, also.

bwilson
03-17-2005, 09:24 PM
However, when we are talking about the support for Don's endeavor what are we talking about in particular? Should we start writing letters to Volvo about this issue? God I love this site :D

As always,
Ta-ta, janusz

We as Volvoers need to group together and send Don Willson our ECM to examine and find out why the part failed to see if there is a pattern. We as Volvo owners take pride in our cars because they are safe first and foremost. Style, comfort, drive ability….. the list could go on and on. But, the fact still remains that with this bad ECM YOU OR YOUR WIFE OR MAYBE YOUR CHILDREN could be strained on the side of an express way with only the ability to go 30 mph. You tell me is this safe? VCNA will have to listen to what we have to say BUT WE WILL HAVE TO SHOUT. Imo VCNA should either do a recall and replace the part in question with the one made from bosh or replace the part for the life of the car free of charge. This would not be the first time at a car manufacture has done this. I had a friend once (God rest his soul) He had a 1990’s Mercedes 300 TD. The turbo unit had a ceramic filter that was an engineered wrong. Mercedes acknowledged this and covered the part and labor for the life of the car. Volvo could and should also do this. If we group tighter and send e-mail and letters to VCNA we all can hope that something will click and VCNA will listen. Here is Don Willson address and NCNA phone and e-mail address.
Thanks
Brandon

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=495

philosophicaldreamer
03-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Sounds good to me. Maybe we should all send a common petition to Volvo with as many signitures as possible. I believe that you are right that if we are going to get any recourse from Volvo we have to band together and confront Volvo. I love Volvos, and I want them to love me back. Heck, I have been paying a lot of money to get their love:-)

Ta-ta, janusz

Desertxc
03-18-2005, 09:48 AM
We as Volvoers need to group together and send Don Willson our ECM to examine and find out why the part failed to see if there is a pattern. We as Volvo owners take pride in our cars because they are safe first and foremost. Style, comfort, drive ability….. the list could go on and on. But, the fact still remains that with this bad ECM YOU OR YOUR WIFE OR MAYBE YOUR CHILDREN could be strained on the side of an express way with only the ability to go 30 mph. You tell me is this safe? VCNA will have to listen to what we have to say BUT WE WILL HAVE TO SHOUT. Imo VCNA should either do a recall and replace the part in question with the one made from bosh or replace the part for the life of the car free of charge. This would not be the first time at a car manufacture has done this. I had a friend once (God rest his soul) He had a 1990’s Mercedes 300 TD. The turbo unit had a ceramic filter that was an engineered wrong. Mercedes acknowledged this and covered the part and labor for the life of the car. Volvo could and should also do this. If we group tighter and send e-mail and letters to VCNA we all can hope that something will click and VCNA will listen. Here is Don Willson address and NCNA phone and e-mail address.
Thanks
Brandon

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=495
I agree we as a group of owners need to approach volvo on this issue. But we need to look at wether we want to approach them from a safety issue ie: 30 MPH on expressway, or do we want to go strickley from a faulty part that volvo needs to own up to and replace it as it breaks down. I feel that these are two seperate issues.

If the failure of the part at the wrong time can cause a accident or attribute to a accident then it should be recalled and replaced ASAP. But if the issue is a Poor design that is prone to failure then it can wait and be replaced as it fails.

philosophicaldreamer
03-18-2005, 10:33 AM
I agree we as a group of owners need to approach volvo on this issue. But we need to look at wether we want to approach them from a safety issue ie: 30 MPH on expressway, or do we want to go strickley from a faulty part that volvo needs to own up to and replace it as it breaks down. I feel that these are two seperate issues.

If the failure of the part at the wrong time can cause a accident or attribute to a accident then it should be recalled and replaced ASAP. But if the issue is a Poor design that is prone to failure then it can wait and be replaced as it fails.

Why the false dilemma :confused: Why not say both: It is the issue of safety and the defective part.

As always,
Ta-ta, janusz

Desertxc
03-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Why the false dilemma :confused: Why not say both: It is the issue of safety and the defective part.

As always,
Ta-ta, janusz
IMO when dealing with a bureaucracy such as Volvo/Ford you need to be able to make your point and support it from one direction.

If you want to say that the part is defective and is causing a safety issue then your point should be that they need a recall and to replace it now becase it is UNSAFE.

If on the other hand you are saying this is a defective part and it is o.k. to limp into your dealer and have it replaced at that time but MAY cause a safety issue then that is how you need to approach the issue.

From what I have been reading it should be approached from a safety issue and pound that point to Volvo/Ford.

If you are saying I want this part replaced because you have a poor design and (I dont want to pay for it, What Volvo/Ford will hear,) oh and by the way could be a safety issue. This argument will hold less water than the safety issue alone. My 2 cents.

bwilson
03-22-2005, 02:43 PM
here is a link to some new infromation.

http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=46374&postcount=84

bwilson
03-24-2005, 02:44 PM
IMO when dealing with a bureaucracy such as Volvo/Ford you need to be able to make your point and support it from one direction.

If you want to say that the part is defective and is causing a safety issue then your point should be that they need a recall and to replace it now becase it is UNSAFE.

From what I have been reading it should be approached from a safety issue and pound that point to Volvo/Ford

I completey aggree Desertxc. It is a safety issue. This is the direstion that we need to go in. Because I don't want my wife and child on the interstate when the car breaks down. I am not sure if she could handel it. There are a million things that can go wrong on the side of the road. But in the eyes of volvo/ford that is what it will take is for someone to get killed are kidnapped befor any thing is done about it. IMO it is insane :eek: :mad: