PDA

View Full Version : Audi Quattro AWD test video

ifnt420
02-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Thought that this is a good demonstration of the Audi Quattro capability. :)
However, it seems that they have attached a tow rope to the car either for security or else? (as seen in the shot when the A6 reaches the top and stops)
Nevertheless, still very impressive!! :D Enjoy.

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cyprus/audi-quattro.wmv

SYS
02-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Looked to me like they were using the tow cable at the top in order to lower the car to the bottom -- which makes sense.

But wouldn't just about any decent car with as powerful engine AND with the same sort of tires with metal spikes do the same?

XC70Geo
02-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Sys, you are right.
The cable fixes the car on the path, and blocks it from going reverse or turning to any side.

It is a very good show, but it's not about 4wd capabilities.

xc70fin
02-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Link do not work!

SORRY I GOT IT!!

vtie
03-01-2005, 01:28 AM
It is a very good show, but it's not about 4wd capabilities.

That's right. If anything, it's about tire capabilities

CrazyTiger
03-01-2005, 02:29 AM
I am 200% sure that the XC70 can do the same..if not better... when using those tyres with metal spikes. :D

ifnt420
03-01-2005, 04:06 AM
ugh... I highly doubt that a FWD or RWD with/or without studded tires will make it up a snow covered hill that steep. :rolleyes:

But we'll never know unless there's another test in the future.
Where's our resident Test team Mr. Westlake & Mas71 when we need them? :D

hd70
03-01-2005, 04:54 AM
Looked at the spot and this is what it basically said.
Audi did the same spot 25 years ago with their first "quattro". That's the reason they did it again. The first 2 attempts with regular winter tires failed, therefore they put on winter tires with 7mm (millimeter) metal spikes. The rope in front was for security reason. The angle was 80%.

vtie
03-01-2005, 05:38 AM
ugh... I highly doubt that a FWD or RWD with/or without studded tires will make it up a snow covered hill that steep.

Agreed, you definetely need 4wd. But apart from that, imho the tires are the only factor that determine success or failure. At least for a car-based 4wd. For an SUV, it might be more problematic because of the higher center of mass.

gary
03-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Thought that this is a good demonstration of the Audi Quattro capability. :)
However, it seems that they have attached a tow rope to the car either for security or else? (as seen in the shot when the A6 reaches the top and stops)
Nevertheless, still very impressive!! :D Enjoy.

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cyprus/audi-quattro.wmv

ifnt420,

Now here's a coincidence....last week when I was in Garmisch, Germany, I couldn't sleep one night and got up and turned on the TV and lo and behold what was on the television? This clip! My German isn't that great so I didn't really get the gist of why they were doing it, but it certainly was WAY COOL to see this car driving up a ski jump! I had every intention of trying to find this clip on the 'net' and post it to the site when I got back, but you've beaten me to it! :) Pretty amazing feat in my mind, regardless of the tires being used. Maybe Audi should do a suspension test the next time :D Thanks for finding and posting....

xc70fin
03-01-2005, 02:20 PM
It is not only STUDS/SPIKES! It is whole design of those tires. Those are like rally tires. You can see how narrow they are to compare other set of tires. Studs helps on ice and snow which is very hard. Rest is tires it self!

I do not want to start discussion about quattro against Volvo awd but no way that rwd or fwd would do it with studs or glue or any kind of help! If you have never been up in one of those slopes, you do not understand how deep those slopes are!

SYS
03-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Anyway, fellas, we don't need a car that can drive up a ski jump, all right? :D

barrysharp
03-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Now that's what I call a real hill climb - all done with German precision. VERY impressive indeed. Mind you, spikes like that would tear up most roads in my neigborhood. The driver looked so surprised to reach the top. :D "Hmmmm - did I really get to the top?" ;)

ifnt420
03-03-2005, 10:20 PM
For those who haven't seen it, our fellow XCer JThorsten did his own test with his Volvo going up a 45degree snow covered ramp just like the Audi. :D

http://www.xc-fan.de/Archiv/V70_Schanze.MPG

XC70Geo
03-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Thank you Thorsten, you are my hero!
Your model is absolutely functional.

gary
03-04-2005, 04:55 AM
Okay, I truly wasn't expecting to see that! That's brilliant! :D

CrazyTiger
03-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Very Nice!! But I really doubt there were anyone in the car driving it up the ramp... to me, it looks like it was being towed all the way up.

Did you see how the car first started...it jumps! And towards the end of the ramp...there were no break light.. surely someone has to step on the break when it comes to a stop at the top right? :confused:

No offence JThorsten. Just my opinion. :)

vtie
03-04-2005, 05:41 AM
But I really doubt there were anyone in the car driving it up the ramp... to me, it looks like it was being towed all the way up.

Even simpler:it's a scale model being towed. It's a small plastic toy car. The entire setup is a joke!

SYS
03-04-2005, 09:16 AM
For those who haven't seen it, our fellow XCer JThorsten did his own test with his Volvo going up a 45degree snow covered ramp just like the Audi. :D

http://www.xc-fan.de/Archiv/V70_Schanze.MPG

Impressive!! It even accomplished the feat WITHOUT any metal spikes on its wheels!!!! Sure beats Audi in my opinion!! :D

XCharlie
03-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Nice done! Looks like they did the same with the Audi. But than with a real car and they digitally removed the line... The driver wasn't very impressed with his stunt. Looks unreal to me, but who knows?